Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday went to start my Gomaro but just got rapid clicking. I have a 69 with sb. About 2-3 mos. ago I replaced the wuto choke on my edel carb. The car started fine. Since then I had removed the battery to jump start my sons pickup in the -0 temps. in IA. I have also done a TH350 - 700R4 tranny swap. So had to remove the dizzy, redo the brake switch for torque converter lockup and the shiftworks install. So I have got everything back together and ready to start it up for the first time since the swap and start checking transmission pressures. But just got the clicking. My battery is charged up, battery end cables cleaned, checked purple wire under the column to make sure I hadn't knocked it off during brake switch wiring. And did not detach any wiring for the nuetral safety switch while doing the shiftworks upgrade. What else do I need to check or might I have done during any of the process to get the starter clicking?

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
If you're going by the meter on a charger to tell whether it's charged or not, a dead cell in the battery wouldn't show. I'd put the headlights on for a couple minutes to see if they're bright. If not, could be the battery or bad clamps. If that works OK, the solenoid on the starter could be bad or a loose connections at the starter. Most Auto suppliers in my area will test batteries and starters for free. I'd start with the battery.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Are u sure the gear is not stuck in the fly wheel??
Some started have a square nut that u can turn back and free the starter
or tap the starter with a soft hammer
or by hand turn the enginne the wrong way..only takes a smiggin.
u will hear the starter disengage

As above a crook battery can cause the starter to jam in...
or the bendex was oiled /geased when assembled ..MUST be dry
We assume here that alignment is correct and have the braket from the end of the starter to block .

To check for a bad cell in the battery....get a battery hydrometer only a couple busks
Test each cell...forget about the charge part charge flat markings ...u are looking for a cell that is markedly lower than the rest.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are u sure the gear is not stuck in the fly wheel??
Some started have a square nut that u can turn back and free the starter
or tap the starter with a soft hammer
or by hand turn the enginne the wrong way..only takes a smiggin.
u will hear the starter disengage

As above a crook battery can cause the starter to jam in...
or the bendex was oiled /geased when assembled ..MUST be dry
We assume here that alignment is correct and have the braket from the end of the starter to block .

To check for a bad cell in the battery....get a battery hydrometer only a couple busks
Test each cell...forget about the charge part charge flat markings ...u are looking for a cell that is markedly lower than the rest.

I will check my battery with my hydrometer when I get home from work. The starter should be aligned as I have not removed it from previous and everything engaged properly before. I will check to see if the starter is engaged in the flywheel in case it got engaged while mounting the torque converter to the flywheel. But there was no juice hooked up at the time to cause the gear to engage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts