Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That knocking sounds wasn't good I know. Lots of blue and smoke coming out the PCV Valve. Now what? Rebuild this 1968 350? Stroke it to a 383, new crate 383, go big block 427? just rebuild it? Its endless. For me it's just a evening town cruiser
I've got a 4 speed Muncie with (3:73) and a 12 bolt. Id like to keep it looking stock but its also not a numbers matching. Body and paint are first class.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
348 Posts
Honestly a big block is hard to beat but I'm considering scrapping my big block plan and building a nice 383 for my car.
I already have a block and heads but... Not having to convert anything would be nice

·
15,491 Posts
Crate SBC is the best way to go imo. Hard to rebuild/upgrade for the same price.

I like SBC 400. 383 or for what you do with the car a 355 would be a great choice.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
656 Posts
Crate or rebuild can depend on how far you have to go with the rebuild and what you want in the end. I was going to need a new crank so a crate 355 made the most fiscal sense because I wanted at least 400hp when done so I was not going to be resusing my heads. If you’re happy with the iron headed 350 then you can probably do a budget rebuild and be just fine.

But, if you want a 383 with aluminum heads then you’re probably best to just order a crate motor.

·
Registered
452 Posts
400 or 427 small block if funds allow. Lots less parts to change vs BB or LS swap.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
If you go bigblock why go with a 427? Go 454 or 496. You can build it tame or nasty.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
348 Posts
Just got back from a drive with my 327.
Go with the big block so you're not struggling to get out of the way of a few corolla :p but yeah it cemented my need to go to a big block.
Take a look at blue print small blocks, they make some nice pieces.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
OP

I am one of many who's original SBC needed a rebuild. My decision was to buy a Blueprint 355. New motor (including block) 4 bolt main, 1 piece RMS, AL heads $3600 and with a warranty and dyno sheet (411hp/413tq). Had it 5 days after ordering (free shipping)

Can't rebuild the motor for anything less and get near that HP

·
Registered
1967 Camaro Convertible SS396 "clone", 1967 RS coupe 327-SOLD
16 Posts
A big block has more "Wow" factor when you open the hood. Other than that, IMO, a small block makes more sense in every other category. I swapped out my 327 for a 396 years ago. If I could do it over, it would be a crate small block with an OD trans. Unless your looking to make monster power from a 454 or larger, you can get all the street power you could want from a SBC.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
If I was in your shoes I'd look into the cost of going 383 with the block I have VS a Blueprint crate. My problem comes when I go to Blueprint to look at a 383 I leave drooling over the biggest inch small block they sell. I've never been a big block guy and have always wanted a big cube small block. It just makes sense to stick with the SBC IMO unless you're going full time race car stay away from the BBC. just my.02

Jeff

·
3,495 Posts
Is it the original engine for the car ? If so I would porbably either fix it or sit it in the corner and put a nice crate 355 in it. Unless you are racing it thats all you need. A friend of mine had a Big Block 69 years ago and I didnt like the way it handled with the extra 100 lbs or so up front.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Lots of opinions in this thread, but haven't seen the OP comment. Sounds like he is just overwhelmed by the options out there. My take on the situation is that the OP is really only debating between a rebuild of the current motor and possibly looking at a crate motor. Sounds like the BBC comment was just due to being overwhelmed, so let's not go recommending him a 496 or 502. Like the others said, if you are looking to gain a few HP going a little bigger and stay with a SBC, go with a crate motor. Too many times I see where less than capable shops forget to do something, motor needs to come back out and it prolongs the downtime. If the OP is happy with the performance of the current motor, just get a crate 350 or 355 from Blueprint and swap it over in a weekend.

Beware the dreaded Scope Creep...

Now, if the conversation turns to a different engine platform, I'd suggest the LS route. As much power as you can make with the BBC it comes with a weight and efficiency penalty. There really is no arguing that. While the LS3 not have quite the grunt down low as a BBC, it is a wonderful motor all around. By far the biggest downside to the LS is the cost. By the time you get an engine, trans, ECU and harness, Fuel system upgrade, Exhaust upgrades, Mounts/oil pans, gauges, and etc. you'll easily be in the $10-15k range. Sky's the limit if you go all out.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
That knocking sounds wasn't good I know. Lots of blue and smoke coming out the PCV Valve. Now what? Rebuild this 1968 350? Stroke it to a 383, new crate 383, go big block 427? just rebuild it? Its endless. For me it's just a evening town cruiser
I've got a 4 speed Muncie with (3:73) and a 12 bolt. Id like to keep it looking stock but its also not a numbers matching. Body and paint are first class. View attachment 278874 View attachment 278877
It's a very nice looking set up there. If it were me, I would tear it down and see what damage is done and go from there comparing the cost of rebuild vs a crate or used motor. If you blew a hole in a piston or trashed a cylinder wall with a cracked piston and the crank / rods are ok, and it will take a bore and a sleeve to fix it, I would rebuild it since you seem content with the car as is. If the crank is toast, now's a good time to stroke it and maybe a roller cam, but it's getting expensive probably. You might be able to find a nice used motor to put in it on the cheap - they don't sell easy and prices are often well below a crate motor or a rebuild. I just sold a really nice strong running 400 with a snowflake intake, and holley 4brl, lumpy cam, starter / alternator / newish fuel pump, brackets and all for $1500.

Of course if you really want more power and want to change the car in to more of a hotrod vs the evening cruiser, now's the time to do it obviously. BP engine's are hard to beat if you are going after power. Of course if you start going down the 'more horse power' path, the cost starts adding up and it never ends.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,602 Posts
I've got a 4 speed Muncie with (3:73) and a 12 bolt. Id like to keep it looking stock but its also not a numbers matching. Body and paint are first class.
Were you satisfied with the performance before the blue smoke? If so, I'd try to locate a good local machine shop and get an estimate for rebuilding your current engine as a 350 with a valve job for the heads. You'll save a lot of time and a lot of money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Blueprint SBC. Pretty much plug and play for your car. Plenty of choices. Figure out how much you want to spend and buy one. IMO the best bang for the buck from a super reliable supplier.

·
15,491 Posts
. I too, am sorry the OP felt obliged to just walk away.
OP did not walk away. Hasn't logged on again since starting the thread.

Decided best to clean up the thread to get back on track to the OP's query.

Questions or comments hit me with a PM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts