Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what transmission I should run in my 68 camaro, I have been slowly restoring it for a couple years now and I am ready for the transmission. I wanted to run an automatic for drag racing when I first started my build. I have a 350 bored 30 over, trick flow 23 degree aluminum heads, I also have a posi rear-end with 4:56 gears. I have a t350, 400, or a 700r4 I have one of each transmission that needs rebuilt but I want to be able to drive this car on the street and also be able to take it to the track.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If its got a 456 gear I think the general consensus is gonna be the 700R or anything with an overdrive if you want to enjoy it on the street at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what i was leaning towards. But i have read that 700r robs you of horsepower, im not sure if this is true. Would it be worth changing the gears in the rearend or just going with the 700r

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
I just had a rebuilt 700r put in my camaro but with snow all over I cant drive it yet. I run 3.08's posi in back and my goal is the best highway mileage for going to shows and trips with the Mrs. I dont race at all so that didnt enter my equation. I hope to get 26mpg this summer but with the 700r the first gear is still VERY low compared to the TH350 so I should be able to squeek the tires if I want too. Properly built the 700r can handle upwards of 400hp from the reading I did at www.bowtieoverdrives.com good luck

·
Registered
214 Posts
I second,third, and forth the above for the 700r4 because you will need the overdrive. But like was also mentioned the 700's extremely low 1st combined with your 4.56 rear is going to make for a super 'creeper gear'. Might act a little funny since under normal acceleration it'll be shifting into second about 4' off the line

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
2004r for sure...with that 1st gear, a super low 3.08 first in the 700 will make your car feel like my wrecher...lol...the 2004r has a more desireable first...i think its 2.54 or 2.73...cant remember, but lots of good info on bowtieoverdrives.com

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Ditto on the 200-4R = much better 1st gear
As far as robbing power TH400 and 4L80E rob the most, because they have the more bands and clutch packs to hold more power so sometimes the trade off in power loss can be worth the reliability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts