Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought for sure that A/C was not available in the Camaro Z28 until around 1973 or so.. The reason that I ask is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=595870750

This car shows to have A/C. Perhaps the owner added it? Or is something not quite right here? I was also concerned about this statement in the description:
The seller said you will not be able to pick the car.
What does that mean? I will wait/watch for replies from some of the sharpest minds on the net.. Have a great day!

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer

·
Registered
21 Posts
As the add says.. the previous owner pulled an A/C from a 73 and put it in the 70.
Got me as far as "owner said you can't pick the car"??

·
Registered
551 Posts
The statement that none of the 1st Gen Z28s had A/C is true. I "think" in 1970, that a Z28 could have had A/C. Go to our brother site for 2nd Gens and check it out.

Some might not like the fact that it has a Tremec in it from the numbers perspective. The flip side is you get overdrive. WEEEEE!!!

Rick-O

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think it was '73 because '73 was the first year the Z didn't have solid lifters.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1169124&a=8603468

Z

·
0 Posts
All my info claims that 1973 was the first year that it was offered in a Z28, plus I own a 73 Z28 that had A/C at one point in time.
Mark (A.K.A. Z28 Mark)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't care for all the "the owner said"'s
It's kinda like don't call us when you find something wrong!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yup, 1973 is the 1st year Air was available in ANY Z28, due to the non-solid lifters among other things. Plus, a 4 speed Z28 with air forced the wide ratio M20 as opposed to the M21 close ratio trans.

Finally, you can't (easily) swap A/C from an ac car to a non-ac car. Unless you punch open the firewall and substatially change the under dash ducting, venting, wiring, the dash itself.....

Sounds like the dude got caught on the A/C issue already. I'll bet the car also has the "rare" trim tag that doesn't say Z28 on it - like (almost) all the real ones.

That's tough - it could be legit (because the original engine is apparently still there).

[This message has been edited by NastyZ (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just curious, what would solid lifters have to do with not having A/C. If it were rpm related, wouldn't a different pully help out?

·
Registered
321 Posts
The solid lifter cams had a longer duration which means lower vacuum which means idle very poor. The AC would kill it at idle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts