Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week We were looking back at some old EBC Brake photos and brochures from 'days gone by' which then got us talking about the first vehicles we all owned (some of these can be seen in our new 'Taking a Break' YouTube series Taking a Brake with the EBC Team | Episode 1: Group CEO, James Hallett - YouTube

So, the question We have is what was the first vehicle you owned and what was so special or, not so special about it?
Was there anything 'quirky' about it? Did it have a name? Did you do any special upgrades to it?

We would love to see photos of your first vehicle and will be sending some free EBC goodies (Cap, Mug, Pen, Lanyard, you know the sort of things!) to a randomly selected forum user.

Get searching for those old photos in those attics/lofts/garages/under parent's beds or just on your phone or computer if you are from the younger generation.

We can't wait to see what you all used to drive, and I am sure occasionally push!

My first car was a Renault GT Turbo Raider with the colour coded wheels. No real modifications to be done so kept it standard, which in those days was more than enough. I wish I still had it as it would have made me a small fortune......

·
Super Moderator
32,998 Posts
I was given while in HS, a '57 Dodge 325 CID V8 with Powerflite trans (2-spd auto) and rebuilt engine in HS Auto Mechanics class.
Grandfather later bought me a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere 2-dr Hardtop. purple with white roof and side strip. $75. and gas station delivered it to the driveway. Bought sheet metal from local steel vendor and installed on floorboard.
Transferred engine & trans and got running. I had to get new frame mounts because back then, 1966, brands/models had their own eng/trans, mounting designs.
Once running, and saved some money, upholstered the front seat, and I laid new carpet, at the local Western Auto store.

Front fenders were rusted completely out and founded a pair of white with black stripe "59 Plymouth Belvedere less-rusted for $10 and swapped out fenders & grill. Went from single headlights to dual headlights.
Later in HS parking lot, gotten hit in drivers door and installed a sky blue '59 door.
Drove Plymouth for a few months and found a 4 year old 1964 Impala 2-dr hardtop, triple black, bench seat 327/4-spd/posi, dual exhaust. Traded the Plymouth in at an out of town Chev dealership, having a wooden floor in service area, gotten $75 trade-in, Grandmother cosigned bank loan for $750. Life was good, 28 cts/gal gas at Clark's

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was given while in HS, a '57 Dodge 325 CID V8 with Powerflite trans (2-spd auto) and rebuilt engine in HS Auto Mechanics class.
Grandfather later bought me a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere 2-dr Hardtop. purple with white roof and side strip. $75. and gas station delivered it to the driveway. Bought sheet metal from local steel vendor and installed on floorboard.
Transferred engine & trans and got running. I had to get new frame mounts because back then, 1966, brands/models had their own eng/trans, mounting designs.
Once running, and saved some money, upholstered the front seat, and I laid new carpet, at the local Western Auto store.

Front fenders were rusted completely out and founded a pair of white with black stripe "59 Plymouth Belvedere less-rusted for $10 and swapped out fenders & grill. Went from single headlights to dual headlights.
Later in HS parking lot, gotten hit in drivers door and installed a sky blue '59 door.
Drove Plymouth for a few months and found a 4 year old 1964 Impala 2-dr hardtop, triple black, bench seat 327/4-spd/posi, dual exhaust. Traded the Plymouth in at an out of town Chev dealership, having a wooden floor in service area, gotten $75 trade-in, Grandmother cosigned bank loan for $750. Life was good, 28 cts/gal gas at Clark's
Sounds like you spent a lot of time keeping these on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
61 VW bug. I was 14. it was my first attempt at building an ATV.
57 Chev. 1st road car
my Camaro passed the 52 year mark in Feb.
Im not the longest held one though.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1968 Firebird, 350 4-spd. I might win the contest for owning my first car the shortest length of time as I rear-ended someone and totaled it after only having the car for a couple of weeks.
View attachment 274815
You might just be worthy of a free gift for that short ownership, wonder if anyone owned their first car for less than two weeks?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Around 1975 or so my dad bought me my first car. He went all out and paid $125 for it. A 1964 Impala 4-door, 283, PG, brown with about 6 different shades of primer. Drove the hell out of that thing and don't recall ever having a mechanical issue. It was a turd but it was also freedom.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Around 1975 or so my dad bought me my first car. He went all out and paid $125 for it. A 1964 Impala 4-door, 283, PG, brown with about 6 different shades of primer. Drove the hell out of that thing and don't recall ever having a mechanical issue. It was a turd but it was also freedom.
:poop::)

·
Registered
844 Posts
My first CAR was my 69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed! I am however mostly a truck guy, so my first vehicle was a 73 Ford F100 4x4 w/ a 289. I saved up my chore money and bought an old ranch truck for $1200. It was used for building fence and had a flat bed and needed a lot of TLC. I did a lot of work to that truck including building a new custom flat bed for it in shop class. It got 20 mpg with that truck so I am amazed that my new truck only gets 12-15 mpg. I have thought about hunting down my first truck and rebuilding it several times, although I saw a picture a few years after I sold it and a tree fell on it and crushed the cab, hood and fender. 😢

When I bought the Camaro I was not looking for an old muscle car to fix up, but when I saw it for sale I knew I had to have it!

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My first CAR was my 69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed! I am however mostly a truck guy, so my first vehicle was a 73 Ford F100 4x4 w/ a 289. I saved up my chore money and bought an old ranch truck for $1200. It was used for building fence and had a flat bed and needed a lot of TLC. I did a lot of work to that truck including building a new custom flat bed for it in shop class. It got 20 mpg with that truck so I am amazed that my new truck only gets 12-15 mpg. I have thought about hunting down my first truck and rebuilding it several times, although I saw a picture a few years after I sold it and a tree fell on it and crushed the cab, hood and fender. 😢

When I bought the Camaro I was not looking for an old muscle car to fix up, but when I saw it for sale I knew I had to have it!
Great story, thanks. $1,200, that was a lot of chores or you were well paid?

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
The 68 in my avatar. Bought Oct 7 1975 for $650 of which $450 was for the wheels. Came with a mosquito fogger 327 and tired Saginaw 3spd promptly yanked and in went a 283 and M20 Muncie. Nice 283 11:1 off the floor of Pettigrew Smith Auto parts store. Daily until 1979 when I got my 77 Z28. Then the road began to what the 68 is now. Where is the end of the road??? Haven't found it yet.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 68 in my avatar. Bought Oct 7 1975 for $650 of which $450 was for the wheels. Came with a mosquito fogger 327 and tired Saginaw 3spd promptly yanked and in went a 283 and M20 Muncie. Nice 283 11:1 off the floor of Pettigrew Smith Auto parts store. Daily until 1979 when I got my 77 Z28. Then the road began to what the 68 is now. Where is the end of the road??? Haven't found it yet.
Keep searching..... 😂

1 - 20 of 47 Posts