Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Had to look in a box of old photos! Decided to give ya'll a two-fer! There is my Zambeezi Green 1969 BMW 1600-2 that was my first car. That thing really taught me a few things! Spent a lot of time in the local foriegn junk yard, parking on top of hills for the lack of a decent battery. Borrowed wheels & tires to pass inspection at least once...Sadly, here I am selling it after I bought that killer Subaru wagon behind it! The convertible has been with me 32 years, but that is another story. Saw some photos of good dogs in that box...
102_1054.JPG

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Had to look in a box of old photos! Decided to give ya'll a two-fer! There is my Zambeezi Green 1969 BMW 1600-2 that was my first car. That thing really taught me a few things! Spent a lot of time in the local foriegn junk yard, parking on top of hills for the lack of a decent battery. Borrowed wheels & tires to pass inspection at least once...Sadly, here I am selling it after I bought that killer Subaru wagon behind it! The convertible has been with me 32 years, but that is another story. Saw some photos of good dogs in that box... View attachment 274818
Great to see some original photos dragged out from the history boxes..... 32 years, I am amazed at how many people keep certain cars so many years.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Great story, thanks. $1,200, that was a lot of chores or you were well paid?
I started working on a ranch starting at age 13. I got $20 a day mostly working weekends and during the summer (late 80's time frame). That was definitely a lot of chores. I bought the truck when I was 14 a full year before I could drive it. That was a bit of self torture.

The rancher that sold me the truck came down a a fair amount on his price to help a kid get his first vehicle. That made a pretty good impression on me. I have sold several vehicles to first time drivers and I tried to give them the best deal that I could.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I started working on a ranch starting at age 13. I got $20 a day mostly working weekends and during the summer (late 80's time frame). That was definitely a lot of chores. I bought the truck when I was 14 a full year before I could drive it. That was a bit of self torture.

The rancher that sold me the truck came down a a fair amount on his price to help a kid get his first vehicle. That made a pretty good impression on me. I have sold several vehicles to first time drivers and I tried to give them the best deal that I could.
Excellent, A great work ethic and brilliant memories.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
33 Years!!! That has to be one of the longest someone has owned a car, wonder if anyone has kept theirs longer?
I bought my 67 vert March 23, 1992. Close but no cigar...................

Attachments

Reactions: EBC Brakes UK

·
Registered
1969 Chevy Camaro and 1968 Pontiac Firebird
78 Posts
My current 69 camaro was my first car. I've owned it for over 33 yrs. What I didn't like about it then was the 283 w/ a two barrel carb.

View attachment 274805
I guess I'll add some of the story behind buying my camaro. All my friends were getting cars when they turned 16 but that was a problem. My parents had bought my sister a Dodge demon years earlier when she turned 16. Within weeks she wrecked it. Then they bought her I think it was a scamp and within a few weeks she blew the motor. I knew they had changed their opinion on buying cars for 16 y/o's.

I asked my Dad at 15 if he would help me get a car after my birthday. As expected he said "no" and I'd have to wait until I graduated. That was the worse thing you could do to a teenage boy in a rural area. So I asked him if I earned the money could I buy my own car. His response was, "If it's your money do whatever the hell you want to with it". I mowed lawns, collected bottles and cans, and worked at a feed store. Almost two years to the day later I bought my camaro. I also think it kept me out of trouble those early years. When my friends were getting into trouble the stuff you go to prison for not teen stuff I was working so I could buy parts or at home trying to figure out how to fix things on a teen budget. I worked off my first paint job helping and sweeping up at the local body shop. Good times!

·
Registered
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible
4 Posts
I saved for it from the age of 7 and bought it brand new when I was 17. 1981 Z28 Camaro - silver with red stripes, t-tops, four speed, and "custom" interior (which is what they called the fancy factory interior.) Unfortunately, if you wanted the four speed, they denied you the 350. It had a 305.

·
Premium Member
1967 Camaro SS 350
469 Posts
First car was an 88 Mercury Cougar bought off my uncle for $2500 in 96 with 77k on it. I worked everyday after school and weekends had 4 different jobs but saved enough money to buy it and fix it up. My partner laughed at me when I asked them if they were going to buy me a car. So like previous poster said I wanted my freedom! Needed a bunch of work and got it cleaned up. Came out good. Sold it 2 years later for more than I paid. Had a Mustang for a year and then bought my 97 SS in 99 with 14k on it. Still have it 22 years last month. I have owned it more than half my life! Both were stock when I bought them.

·
Registered
1969 Z28 Camaro X33 Tuxedo Black
109 Posts
Believe it or not it was a 1969 Z28 Camaro in Burnish Brown that I ordered at the dealer. Fifty years later, I bought another 1969 Z28.

Attachments

·
14,960 Posts
My 1st was a 58 Ford Station Wagon at 14 years old . I poured a sidewalk for a neighbor in exchange for the car. Kept it in the neighbors garage and would drive in the neighborhood. My Dad found out and made me give it back. Bought a 46 Chevy for $25 from a other neighbor at 15. I wouldn't run so he sold it to me. A quick tune up for about $10 in parts and it ran great. Drove it in the desert til it died and left it there.

My 1st real car at 17 was a 64 GTO sold it 2 years later and bought a new 69 Z28 Camaro. Sold it 7 years later due to the gas price going up like 400% in the 70s.

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro Z28 survivor
112 Posts
First car purchased was a 86 Mustang GT (Not real pic). Was a fun car, but really wanted a Chevy Monte Carlo SS back then and swore someday I would get one, but never did.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My first car was a 67 Pontiac LeMons w/ a 326.It was my friends car but he cracked it up and he was done with it so $50 later and about 125 for junkyard front end parts and I was driving.Came with the gauge dashboard, buckets and console w/auto. Drove it about 2-3 years.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I saved for it from the age of 7 and bought it brand new when I was 17. 1981 Z28 Camaro - silver with red stripes, t-tops, four speed, and "custom" interior (which is what they called the fancy factory interior.) Unfortunately, if you wanted the four speed, they denied you the 350. It had a 305.
View attachment 274838
Aged 7, that certainly is some dedication.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts