Team Camaro Tech banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My 1st was a 58 Ford Station Wagon at 14 years old . I poured a sidewalk for a neighbor in exchange for the car. Kept it in the neighbors garage and would drive in the neighborhood. My Dad found out and made me give it back. Bought a 46 Chevy for $25 from a other neighbor at 15. I wouldn't run so he sold it to me. A quick tune up for about $10 in parts and it ran great. Drove it in the desert til it died and left it there.

My 1st real car at 17 was a 64 GTO sold it 2 years later and bought a new 69 Z28 Camaro. Sold it 7 years later due to the gas price going up like 400% in the 70s.
Let's get an EBC free gift sent out to you, PM me your address

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I guess I'll add some of the story behind buying my camaro. All my friends were getting cars when they turned 16 but that was a problem. My parents had bought my sister a Dodge demon years earlier when she turned 16. Within weeks she wrecked it. Then they bought her I think it was a scamp and within a few weeks she blew the motor. I knew they had changed their opinion on buying cars for 16 y/o's.

I asked my Dad at 15 if he would help me get a car after my birthday. As expected he said "no" and I'd have to wait until I graduated. That was the worse thing you could do to a teenage boy in a rural area. So I asked him if I earned the money could I buy my own car. His response was, "If it's your money do whatever the hell you want to with it". I mowed lawns, collected bottles and cans, and worked at a feed store. Almost two years to the day later I bought my camaro. I also think it kept me out of trouble those early years. When my friends were getting into trouble the stuff you go to prison for not teen stuff I was working so I could buy parts or at home trying to figure out how to fix things on a teen budget. I worked off my first paint job helping and sweeping up at the local body shop. Good times!
Let's get an EBC free gift sent out to you, PM me your address

·
Registered
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible
4 Posts
Aged 7, that certainly is some dedication.
Yeah, I was a car kid. Lived on a farm, so nothing to do but work. Spent the first of my money on Hot Rod and Car Craft subscriptions. From those magazines I decided what I wanted and started saving up for it. You should have seen the salesman's expression when a 17 y/o wrote him a $9,000+ check.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
My first car in high school was a 1970 Ford XL Convertible. It was like this one except mine had wire wheels. Apparently less than 800 made but who knew at that time (40 years ago). I have a Polaroid picture of it somewhere but can't find it now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My first car was this 1/4 midget race car. It was an early 60's car I bought in '68 IIRC with lawn mowing money. Clinton engine, direct drive (push to start), and the "brake" constructed of a normal kind of pedal attached to a shielded brake cable to a spring attached to a piece of V belt wrapped around a pulley on the rear axle. So ya one wheel brake ahahaha. My first upgrade as a 10 YO kid was to a disc brake. Still only one wheel brake but it was waaaaaay better than the V belt! ahahaha

I raced it but was never at the front because my parents thought I should be the one putting money into it while other kids parents bought them faster set ups. Hard to keep up when you're just mowing lawns and also spending some of that money on bicycles, mini bikes, etc. I had a lot of fun with that car though! While it was fun on track it was even more so on the street! Just imagine haulin around suburban neighborhoods in this car, wave to neighbors passing the opposite direction..... different era. Police would arrive in a minute today.

First street car was the '68 Camaro below.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts