Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
11,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, what ever someone is willing to pay for it! Seriously, since I have never seen a complete one, I don't have a clue except for 'a lot!'

Dave, Al and Dennis, please feel free to delete this if it is unappropriate, but I'm looking for a little direction. Thanks

I have been agonizing over putting A/C in my SS (it did not come with A/C) and have been collecting parts for over 15 years and have put together a 100% complete system for a SB. All the brackets, pulleys, hoses, mech and vacuum stuff are there as well as all the interior pieces from dashpad to kick panels. I even have the firewall custom cut piece. I had new barrier hoses put on original fittings. All the rest of the stuff is good used originals.

My dilema is should I use it or sell it to someone who could really use it. Being in NJ the numbers of days that it is so hot that even with the top down the heat would be unbearable are few. Thats why I got the conv in the first place, to get some fresh breezes, but with the A/C on I'm all enclosed again.

Since my car will be a correct car (all the correct parts, but not numbers matching) the additional options are not too much of a consideration.

So this is the question.. If the the A/C unit (I do not want to sell it piecemeal on Ebay, though it would be worth more) is in the multiple thousand range and someone with a coupe in the hot belts wanted it should I sell or do I add a couple of more years of restoration time, money and headaches to my project without a big benefit?

I've always thought the A/C cars (especially converts) looked the best with the center duct, which is why I wanted to go that route, but the practical side of me (read I want to finish the SS in my lifetime) has me second guessing my decision.

Please help me out! Thanks, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

·
Registered
118 Posts
ebay is always a great source of information about the value of parts. List it for sale with a $10,000. reserve and see what it is worth to buyers.

Scott.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Kevin,

Ok this is the deal as I see it. I have a big block car that did not come with air BUT since I'm down here in Texas, I added a Vintage Air SUREFIT unit for about 1,050 dollars. Search on Vintage Air and you will see tons of info on this but suffice to say the unit is vastly superior to the original AC you could get with the car originally. Now the market for your OEM AC is going to be someone who is a numbers matching all the way type of guy. Now to him, I would think a complete WORKING unit is probably worth around 750-800 dollars if he is located in an area that requires AC and he is planning on using the car as a daily driver. Now this of course is just my opinion but I can't see someone spending thousands of dollars for a OEM AC unit. If someone is just Showing the car, he could probably care less whether the AC works or not and in fact I know or numerous show cars that have inoperable AC units because why would they want to fix a AC unit on a trailer queen???

·
10,164 Posts
sr71bb,
You are making too much sense-cut it out!

Serously, there are probably some people out there who have VERY valuable Camaros and their heart's desire is to have a correct air conditioning system.

I may have an AC compressor off a '68 if anyone is looking for one.

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
11,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, thanks for the ideas. I like the $10,000 reserve one the best!

I'll think I'll start by selling the spare A/C parts on Ebay and see how that goes.

Kurt S, I do realize what kind of pain and fustration I'm looking at, just scrounging the parts has been a pain, that's why I'm looking for opinions

On a related subject, can I keep my clutch fan on the SS350 if I don't have the A/C?

Thanks everyone! Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)

G

·
there was one on ebay a couple of weeks ago. i think it went for around 450-500. you can go to ebay and go under competed items and find out for sure. i,ve got one almost [complete] if anyone can use it or for parts. i,am going with the vintage set-up.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If the car is apart, and you are welding on panels etc, adding AIR is not that much more difficult, actually blocking off the original vent openings is probably the hardest part.
Heck, I paid $1900.00 for a parts car just to get the air. 14 years ago, before vintage air. I also got all the other parts from the car, which made it worth it.
This was a ragtop and when it's hot it is nice to turn on the air!
But I'm still looking not to hard, but since you mentioned it. the aluminum spacer that goes between the rear compressor mount and the compressor.

·
11,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, sr71bb!

Mat Klemp, The part you are talking about is part of the hose assembly I think, the rest of the parts are steel. The hoses are the only part I have had redone and they turned out real nice, but I only have the 1 set. Those will be on the auction block much later, either as part of the set or after I get rid of the spares.

Thank, everyone!

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.