Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1967 Camaro and the seats are not original because the tag indicates this was a bench seat car.

I don't think headrests were an option in 67 so I'm not sure if these seats are from a 68 or 69' - here is a photo: http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/geano/?action=view&current=CamaroSeats.jpg

I need to replace the foam and it appears the foam is different for each year? Can someone please help id the year of these seats?

thanks!

Gean

·
Registered
352 Posts
Those look like 67 Deluxe seats with headrests to me. Not sure if there was such a thing as headrest deluxe seat like that in 67, but the actual seats look like 67 Deluxe to me. I know in 68 you could get headrest seats like that

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
They are definately not 67 headrest seats. They look like they have 69 headrests on them. It is possible that the headrests may have been added or they are 69 recovered seats.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those are 1967 camaro seats with deluxe interior and the optional headrest that were available in 1967. It should be coded on the firewall tag because i have one with the same option. They are not 68 or 69 seats as everyone is saying. You should be able to go on the team camaro site and find the option list for 1967. Hope this helps>:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
Those are 1967 camaro seats with deluxe interior and the optional headrest that were available in 1967. It should be coded on the firewall tag because i have one with the same option. They are not 68 or 69 seats as everyone is saying. You should be able to go on the team camaro site and find the option list for 1967. Hope this helps>:thumbsup:
Sorry, but the headrests on those seats pictured are not 67 headrests. My 67 z/28 has them and the headrests are different in appearance.

Like Kevin said above, take the headrests out and look at the posts and compare them in the link below.

I guarantee you they are not headrests out of a 67.

http://home.pcmagic.net/bertfam/headrest.htm

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mystery solved! The date code on the headrest reads 11-01-68. Thanks Kevin! And thanks to everyone for this info - This forum is really good for new folks like me.

The seats cleaned up super - no rips or tears. They are in very good shape - just needs some new foam and re-cover the headrests = good to go!

Cheers,
Gean
:beers:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok - one last question... the date code reads 11-01-68 on the headrests BUT were these seats actually installed in a 1969 model car? I ask because most car manufacturers release the new models late in the previous year (e.g. 69' models avail in late 68'). However, I'm not sure if they did that back in the sixties?

The only reason I ask is because replacement seat foam is sold specifically for each year of first gen's.

thanks,
gean

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I think the "right" question would be to ask if the frames and springs are the same all three years (excluding the internal frame difference for the headrests). I don't know the answer.

The deluxe foam is different each year because the covers were so different. The standard foams are the same 67 and 68, and I think some repro vendors list the 69 with the reinforcement as the 69 standard foam (not all had reinforcing, I guess). Rick's lists the standard foam without reinforcement for all three years, so I am guessing the seat frames themselves are the same.

If you confirm that the seat backs are the same dimensions, if doesn't really matter what year the seat frames are. You'll want the foam that matches your covers, so if you keep the 67 deluxe covers, you'll want 67 deluxe foam.

Dizzy? I am.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ok - one last question... the date code reads 11-01-68 on the headrests BUT were these seats actually installed in a 1969 model car? I ask because most car manufacturers release the new models late in the previous year (e.g. 69' models avail in late 68'). However, I'm not sure if they did that back in the sixties?

The only reason I ask is because replacement seat foam is sold specifically for each year of first gen's.

thanks,
gean
My 69 Camaro was assembled 10/68 and they were building them even earlier than mine the 69 model was a long production year I think around 18 mos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.