Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to recommend me a good welding helmet? I have a $49 Harbor Freight and feel like a better helmet would help me see my welding better, maybe?
I'm obviously not a professional and I just do minimal welding with a Mig.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't think the brand really matters. I really like the auto darkening ones. Decent ones usually run around $80-100, but they are worth the extra cost IMHO. If you have a Big-R, a tractor supply, or a Murdoch's near by they usually have a pretty good selection. Harbor Freight is fine if it's auto darkening.

Here is a decent one:

·
Premium Member
225 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Buy one you can get replacement parts. The outer plexiglass lens will melt from weld splatter. The inner lens will eventually need to be replaced. The foam on the helmet's head gear strap wears out. Some of them offer magnifying lens the might help in some circumstances.

A large viewing area is nice but costs more. Pay attention to the specs about spot welds. Automotive work will require the helmet to go dark and clear many times during a one minute interval.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Make sure the lens has replaceable batteries. The HF helmet I have does not. I bought a new replacement lens on line (big mistake) and although it does have replaceable batteries, it doesn't work to my satisfaction. The HF and other cheap helmets are fine for the hobby welder, but the batteries can go down when the helmet sets unused.
If you have the money, pop for the best hood you can. 3M Speedglass is one I trust as 3M rarely sells out low quality products.

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Anyone care to recommend me a good welding helmet? I have a $49 Harbor Freight and feel like a better helmet would help me see my welding better, maybe?
I'm obviously not a professional and I just do minimal welding with a Mig.
Tossing my cheap helmet and buying a Speedglass helmet was one of the best moves I ever made. I’m getting old and my night vision sucks so being able to turn down the darkness is a big plus. Check ebay for good prices

I also use my Astro sun light to light up the weld zone. Huge difference. The strong magnets make it easy to position.

Don

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far my research has led me to the Lincoln Viking 3350 4C. Great reviews, possibly best bang for the buck for me. Bakersgas.com in Ohio has them for $219 w/free shipping. Pretty sure i'm going with one of these. Adding a 1.0 and a 1.25 lens for these old eyes.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is where I bought my Speedglass. You can wait for Black Friday pricing too..
I called and talked with one of the guys (whoever answered the phone..lol), he recommended the Lincoln over all the others for the best value and quality for my needs. So I went ahead and bought the Lincoln for $219 & free shipping. They're only a couple hours from me so I should have it for the weekend.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I called and talked with one of the guys (whoever answered the phone..lol), he recommended the Lincoln over all the others for the best value and quality for my needs. So I went ahead and bought the Lincoln for $219 & free shipping. They're only a couple hours from me so I should have it for the weekend.
Nice! A good helmet is game changer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought a few of these. They are a nice helmet for occasional use, have a large adjustable lens and are less than $60. It will break after some heavy use as the headband is not super strong but it works great for the hobbyist.

·
Registered
105 Posts
^^^ Bob,do they last more than 1 year ? The A/D helmet that I bought from Horror Fright zapped out after only a year and would have me seeing flashes after only a 10-15 mins welding time. Scary stuff,I only weld something about 4-6 times a year so I don't want to spend $300 for a welding helmet.
I'd like to find something that's between $50 to $125 that will last and still protect my eyes.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The Vulcan series from Harbor freight have good reviews for $159-169 & they now have a 20% off coupon for them.

I have a Miller Elite, but it was expensive. A friend swears by the Vulcan & is a welder/fabricator so he uses it a lot. He likes it better than his Lincoln helmet.

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
I recently replaced an old HF auto dimming helmet after I had my son tack a weld for me. After he did it he said his helmet was easier to see thru. After replacing my old with another HF model I determined the old one was extremely dark all the time. I felt like the most expensive HF was Just fancy paint on the plaoin one so that's what I have.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,199 Posts
I have a generic solar powered one that came with my Hobart 140, but I treated myself to a HF Vulcan when it was on sale/coupon based on all the excellent reviews. Big improvement! Can’t beat it for $115 or whatever with the discount.

Reactions: yellow69RS

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So far my research has led me to the Lincoln Viking 3350 4C. Great reviews, possibly best bang for the buck for me. Bakersgas.com in Ohio has them for $219 w/free shipping. Pretty sure i'm going with one of these. Adding a 1.0 and a 1.25 lens for these old eyes.
Finally got a chance to use the new helmet last night and this thing is amazing, night and day difference from the cheap harbor freight one i was using.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I’ve been using a fiber metal for 40 years.
speedglass is probably the best and most expensive.
I have a Esab that’s ok but pricey for what it actually is
Fancy memory and grind button.
I’ve relied on this for most stuff and my latest has lasted 6 years ...fits all 2x4.25 openings

ArcOne S240-10 Horizontal Single Auto-Darkening Filter for Welding, 2 x 4", Shade 10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00206Y4B8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_G1TXRKS53A7AA93ENG31

1 - 19 of 19 Posts