Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been thinking about adding a couple 6x9's to the rear shelf of my 67 since I just had my Delco AM radio converted to AM/FM w aux input.

I am pretty sure the cardboard package tray will have to be cut (dont mind that) but does the metal underneath it have to be cut?

Do I need to get a new cardboard package tray, the one with the mesh holes? I would like to use the OEM repro style rectangle grills if possible.

Any recommendations for 6x9's, 4x6's and dash speaker that can be used with the original style grills?

Thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
The factory didn't cutout the metal . And the cardboard was cutout the same shape as the metal . You could probably use the OEM type grills .

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just install 6x9s from ricks camaro, no cutting of metal, they fit under the metal from the trunk. And used the mesh pakage tray. The speakers was the $89 dollar ones, sound real good. Good luck

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies guys. Its sounds like it is an either/or decision I have to make now.

Either:

Keep original cardboard shelf and cut up to install 6x9's with grills

Or:

get the mesh shelf and mount them underneath.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
I don't know who did your conversion but Larry at Vintage Autosound(Wood Radios) recommended these to me after his conversion. This sales source is just for a visual example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0013KWX2O/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
http://www.woodradios.com/ Larry recommends sealing the rear speakers well to the shelf for optimum sound. He also designs front speakers to fit the factory dash cone and bracket tailored to your system's requirements. He's far from a cookie cutter operation. Send him your cores or he'll provide them.
Years ago I had a Harrison radio and speakers and the sound and product quality was garbage.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Watch the size of the magnet structure on your rear speakers. I put a high dollar set of Jensen 6x9 3 ways in my 69 package tray a number of years ago and I have to wiggle the spare tire in under the magnet structure. But Dang, they sound nice. I've got an old Pioneer Super Tuner that the shafts fit the original holes in the dash. 60 watts if I remember. Still got the original old AM push button in the cabinet.

I just used the twin speakers (4" I think) that fit in the original front speaker dash housing. I'm absolutely not in to that boom box stuff. I just way past that age in my life. Still cruising though..... Jim in Cheyenne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts