Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1974 Pantera, purchased new, one owner, 24,000 miles, drove it a couple years and then parked it right where it sits. Flooded the engine with oil to preserve it. Everything on the car is original.
It belongs to my Brother-In-Law. He thinks he's going to start restoring it when he retires.

20210910_140548 by F G, on Flickr

20210910_140816 by F G, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
They were cool little cars. Most were very prone to rust. Thy have a following, and not a ton manufactured. Good score.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,408 Posts
A friend of mine had one back in the mid 70's, bought it used in Vegas and drove it back to Long Island... IIRC, without any legit plates on it. Never got stopped. Great looking car, but extremely uncomfortable to drive (for me) because of the weird pedal layout… pushed 10-12 inches towards the center bc of the LH wheel well. One of the better looking cars coming out of Ghia's auto studio, designed by American Tom Tjaarda. My buddy Jim got used to the pedals after a few months and it was fun to rip around in. They are still jaw droppers IMHO. This sounds like a great "find". Grab it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A friend of mine had one back in the mid 70's, bought it used in Vegas and drove it back to Long Island... IIRC, without any legit plates on it. Never got stopped. Great looking car, but extremely uncomfortable to drive (for me) because of the weird pedal layout… pushed 10-12 inches towards the center bc of the LH wheel well. One of the better looking cars coming out of Ghia's auto studio, designed by American Tom Tjaarda. My buddy Jim got used to the pedals after a few months and it was fun to rip around in. They are still jaw droppers IMHO. This sounds like a great "find". Grab it.
I offered 50k as is but he's not selling.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,408 Posts
I offered 50k as is but he's not selling.
While it looks dusty and dirty... a 24,000 mile Pantera that is in good shape could easily bring $200K+ if its cleaned up and running properly. Nice family discount/lowball LOL. He probably knows what he has. Good try though.

·
20,582 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
I rode in a 1973 when it was new.
My uncle drove it from Phoenix to Dallas but could only travel at night. He said it got hot easily.
I think the truth was more rooted in an attempt to hide assets during a divorce.
We will never know.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
It is worth at least $50k just as it sits. While the earlier chrome bumper cars are more attractive, the bigger bumper cars aren't as bad as many of the70s cars were. Although I don't have a Pantera, one of my best friends has two, both yellow: a street car and a track car. The unofficial Oklahoma Pantera club meets at his house each year, and I always get invited. Everything from pure stock to really wild. One year a guy trailered his silver car there right after competing in the Silver State Classic Challenge. First pic is of Chuck's two yellow cars. Second is one of the guys' cars up on Chuck's lift, third is a bunch of Panteras (you can barely see the butt end of Sherri's little MRoadster, which we drove to this event.... we have never taken the same car twice) and the final is a twin turbo monster.
They are fun cars, and prices are rising.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Plant Tire Car Vehicle
Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
480 Posts
Loved the sound of those cars. Didn't they have a Ford Cleveland engine in them?

·
Registered
23 Posts
351 Cleveland. ZF 5 speed. Sold mine in 2018 on BAT. Ran great but had tons of major rot. Sold it, put a roof on the house and got a 2008 Z06 LZ2 'Vette with 9000 miles and had some cash left over. Nothing can beat the sound of that
351. The entire exhaust from headers to exhaust tip was about 3 feet.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
T.

·
Registered
323 Posts
How many are aware those “wonderful”
Cleveland heads were almost exact copies of BBC heads, 5 years later ?

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts