Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69's got a fuel guage in the right hole and a filler in the middle. I want to buy the 140 MPH speedo, the 8000 RPM tach and the center mount fuel guage. I notice that all the guage suppliers list printed circuit boards for years all around the 69, but skip it. Can these guages be hard wired? I've never had the dash out of a Camaro.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
First, There's no circuit board in the 69. I believe they were used in 67-68.
Check the area for the center fuel guage. Is it a filler, or solid. They were solid, unless you had a column auto, clock, or center fuel gage. If solid, I'd leave it until you get the new bezel. That way you can be double sure not to cut too much out. I think the wires from the right fuel will fit for the center fuel.

As for the tach, you will have to cut out the back of the right pod to fit. I had a busted up dash housing that I used to experiment on to get the right shape. I have a template, if you want it. Email me your fax number, or address and I'll get it to you. You'll need to buy a tach wire harness, or spring for a complete new under-dash harness. $350, but cheaper than an interior fire!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, its not a hard job at all, it just takes time! We currently have the 140 mph speedo, tach and fuel gauge in stock, they are nice pieces! They are all 100% the same look as GM and they hard wire in just like the originals, 67-68 had the printed circuit boards....Contact me if you need more info, we also have the NEW OER dash carriers..

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I installed a tach in my 69 gauge carrier a while back and just finished installing a center fuel gauge. I have to say that it looks great and you don't see very many cars with this option. You will need to by a Dremel or Craftsman rotary tool in order to do this project. Also, a lot of what I described below will make much more sense if you have the gauge carrier out and can look at it.

Tach install - You will need to cut a hole in the fuel gauge pod to fit the tach in. If you hold the gauge carrier up to the light and look very carefully on the back of the fuel pod, you will see a faint outline of the hole. I used this to determine where to cut. My tach also came with a template for the hole, but it needed modifications to work. I noticed the outline of the hole on the back of the pod when I was getting ready to mark the outline using the template. Cutting the hole is the hardest part. I fabricated a wiring harness with stuff from Pep Boys and it works great. I will have to say that the stock type tach is a little slow. I have an MSD with a 6,000 RPM rev limit and I hit the limit when the tach reads about 5,700 RPMs.

Center fuel gauge - I took some measurements off of an original clock gauge carrier. It looked to me like GM also cut the filler panel out because the sides of the hole were a little ragged. You want to leave approx. 1/8 inch on each side and the bottom of the hole from the side of the filler panel. Leave approx 1/2 inch at the top. I drilled holes in the corners and then used a fine toothed hacksaw blade to make the cuts - leave plenty of room for error. One you have cut the center out, go back with the Dremel and trim to the dimensions above. Trial fit the gauge cover; you will probably need to do some additional trimming on the carrier. That's the easy part.

No one makes repro fasteners for the gauge, so your on your own. Here's what I did: There are two studs clipped to the far right of the gauge carrier that are used to fasten the carrier to the metal dash. They are very similar to the ones used for the center gauge. Pull them off and attach in the appropriate place in the center of the carrier - its easy to figure out where they go (if you can get two studs off another dash, I would do that and keep the studs in the original location). You can then attach the fuel gauge. There are two clips that go on top of the carrier that the gauge cover screws into. These have to be fabricated. I went to the hardware store and bought a strip of brass 1/2 inch wide and .018 inch thick. I cut up a Coke can and used the thin aluminum to rough out the proper shape of the clip and then reproduced it in brass. You will have to drill a hole in the brass for the gauge cover screw to go into - be sure to do it before you start forming the clip. I used 1/2-inch long #8 stainless oval head screws that I bought at Home Depot to attach the gauge cover.

The stock wiring harness will work. However, the fuel gause wires are too short. You will need to cut the harness tape cover and pull 2-3 inches of the fuel gauge wires out. Its easy because the wires are coming thru the harness from the left side of the car. Be sure to get the pieces off the back of the original gauge so you can connect the wiring harness to the new gauge. The center fuel gauge also has its own illumination and this is where I am now. I spliced a set of wires into the speedo light wires. I need to figure out were to buy a light socket for the center gauge. The speedo/original fuel gauge lights do not fit into the hole of the center fuel gauge, it has its own design. Once I figure this out, I'm done.

E-mail me if you have more questions. Mycarrier is installed, but it would be easy to take a few digital pictures for you.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/16/01 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
49 Posts
Excellent info guys!
I'm in the process of beginning to install guages on my '69. None of you mentioned what guages you were using! I'm looking at Autometer Phantom guages. I saw them in a Chevelle, and they look awesome!!

Anyways, I was told that someone made a dash insert that fit the 69's and that fit the tach and speedo without any cutting!??! Have any of you ever heard of such a monster??
I think Kyle Tucker, of Detroit Speed, (make of the Twister Camaro) was the name I heard attached to that rumor, but I'm not sure.

I want to take out my centre fuel guage, and replace it with a clock, with the speedo, and tach on either side. I bought a guage console from Autometer that fits just in front of my shifter on the console that fits 4 21/16" guages. It looks sweet!

I plan on moving my fuel guage to it, and adding oil pressure, volts, and water temp. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it works out all right!! Thanks for the info, and if any of you can think of that dash insert, please let us know!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
monte,

I am using stock gauges. I personally do not like the look of aftermarket gauges in a 69 dash primarily because the pods are square. I think they look great in 67 and 68 dashes.

Also, I figured out how to light the center fuel gauge. Get a side marker light socket for an 84 to 94 Honda. I bought it in a bubble package at Pep Boys. It is made of soft plastic. I had to do some minor cutting on the mounting tabs, but it fit perfectly and uses the same bulb as the speedo/tach lights.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/16/01 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts