Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a 396 in my '69 camaro. It originally came with a small block. The restoration catalog shows two different engine frame mounts; one for BB and a different one for SB. Does anyone know if the the BB will fit on the SB mount? or Do I need to swap mounts? Do the mounts from a '70 camaro work?

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
The small block mounts will work but the motor may not sit where you really would like for it to be. The motor would sit a bit higher with the small block mounts which may or may not be a issue depending on the type of hood your using. The proper BB mounts also shift the motor to the pass. side.... I forget. Someone here knows exactly how much, I can't remember.
So, if your going to run a BB with no bells & whistles with a cowl hood I don't see a big problem. If it's going to be dressed with A/C, headers, etc. you may want to get the BB mounts. The trans X-members were different too. At least for my 67 SS manual trans car.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a 68 converted to BB & TH400 with set of hedman headers that fit with small block mounts, but the car does not have power steering, power brakes or AC.

EDIT: and a cowl hood...

[This message has been edited by Turbo_Jet (edited 07-17-2002).]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Like Turbo_Jet, I have succesfully used sbc frame mounts in a 68 to locate the BBC. I had power steering as well, and all header clearance problems were resolved with a hammer and pipe. The heater core cleared as did the high rise manifold and holley carb under a standard hood, The air filter was 2.5 inches. The stock type drivers side rocker cover cleared the booster but I used the Vette/Chevelle angled unit. At 75.00 bucks each for the bbc frame mounts, it is worth trying. My brother and I used sbc mounts in his 78Z to hold his 540 Merlin no problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car has power steering, but it sounds like headers will fit with a little encouragement from Mr. hammer. The air cleaner clearance should be okay, since I am using a cowl hood and a 3" tall air cleaner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.