Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What's the difference between a '69 6 cyl and a '69 V8?
Is it only the 6 cyl engine vs a V8, and a single exhaust vs a dual exhaust, or......?
Does everything that came of a V8 fit a 6 cyl. (with the same trim)?

Thanks

David

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
There are several important differences between V8 model Camaros and I6 models.

Some differences are: front coil springs (lower rate), front shocks, engine harness, motor mounts (?)-[might be able to fit sb V8], radiator, fan shroud, alternator and the exhaust system (mainly position in the engine compartment).

The good thing is if you find a I6 model camaro that is minus the engine or mostly stripped it should be a relatively easy conversion to V8! V8 parts will fit on an I6 Camaro.

Other than some mechanical/ electrical items, most everything else is completely interchangable with any other Camaro of the same year (possibly other years as well depending on the part).

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html

·
Registered
269 Posts
My car was originally a 6. One thing to note is the fuel line running from the tank to the engine is 5/16". This didnt really wasn't a problem with the mild 350 that was in the car when I bought it. But with the 383 I have in there now, the motor stumbles due to fuel starvation when floored for sustained periods.
Frame mounts (that engine sits on) on my car are also lower than regular V8 small block mounts, which causes interference with crossmember if a performance (larger) mechanical fuel pump is used.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I also did the I6 to V8 swap in my 68. The frame mounts are way different (I6 mounts are shorter). Also don't forget about the sending unit inside the gas tank it's 5/16" also. I just replaced both the sending unit and the supply line, they were cheap.

The I6 radiator won't cut it either.

The wiring harness is fine, you may have to shorten the coil wire a bit. Also cut electrical tape and reroute the oil sending unit wire.

Don't plan on using any pulleys, brackets or belts from the I6. But I did manage to reuse both the p/s pump and the alternator.

·
Registered
151 Posts
eric,
i heard that the p/s pump wouldn't cross over. i'm about to do this swap myself, and i'm trying to get everything i'm going to need before i get started. i'd love to save the cost of a pump. what about the p/s pulley, did you have to replace it?
thanks,
tybor

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I did use the 6 cyl power steering pump. I had to use a different p/s pump pulley. I also shortened the return line connection on the bottom of the p/s pump to clear the frame and had to put a 1/4" spacer between the p/s crank pulley and the alternator/water pump crank pulley.

I think I needed the spacer because I have a Z28 p/s bracket and non-Z28 pulleys (not because it's a 6 cyl pump). I believe the Z28 pulleys have deeper grooves and stack up thicker than the "standard V8" pulleys on the crank. I think the Z28 crank pulleys and p/s pulleys are NLA so I'd try to stick with "standard V8" brackets AND pulleys. You can find these pulleys in the aftermarket pretty easy - black, chrome, aluminum, etc.

I had a lot of problems trying to get this setup to work out and I never really figured out exactly where I went wrong, but it the 6 cyl p/s pump does fit perfectly in the V8 cradle bracket. Maybe someone else can confirm/deny my Z28 pulley theory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts