Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 69 camaro with a 350, longtube headers, and stock exhaust. I wanted hear my car rumble so I installed a 40 series flowmaster dual exhaust with an X-pipe and used 2.5" pipes. When I turned it on I was very disappointed because it was nowhere near as loud as I expected it. Honestly it sounds very quiet for a muscle car with headers, yet the engine sounds very healthy and the air that comes out of the exhaust tips comes out with a lot of pressure. I don't know what to do to it to make it sound loud. Please help!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The X-pipe makes things quiet but the hp/tq gains are way too good to remove it, it would be foolish to do it just to attain sound. Have you considered cut outs? What is your motors compression ratio and cam size? 40 series are VERY loud with a good sized cam and powerful motor, almost annoying. After driving the car enough you will begin to hate more noise and you will get unwanted attention(ricers, 100 rednecks wanting to run you in their beaters)... In stall glass packs (which I don't recommend to anyone) or get a cut out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got 40 series in a monte carlo 305 with manifolds.. not really super loud but its nice deep muscle car tone.. I also think the X pipe is quieting your system.. I don't like glass packs much either it just don't sound right. are you trying for that deep sound or just loud rawr.

is there a way you can record the sound and post it..

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I just purchased a 69 camaro with a 350, longtube headers, and stock exhaust. I wanted hear my car rumble so I installed a 40 series flowmaster dual exhaust with an X-pipe and used 2.5" pipes. When I turned it on I was very disappointed because it was nowhere near as loud as I expected it. Honestly it sounds very quiet for a muscle car with headers, yet the engine sounds very healthy and the air that comes out of the exhaust tips comes out with a lot of pressure. I don't know what to do to it to make it sound loud. Please help!
Hey...welcome to the site.

Unbolt that exhaust system and i'll bet you a bolgna sandwich it will scare the hell out of small children and make dogs run with fear.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
The X-pipe makes things quiet but the hp/tq gains are way too good to remove it, it would be foolish to do it just to attain sound. Have you considered cut outs? What is your motors compression ratio and cam size? 40 series are VERY loud with a good sized cam and powerful motor, almost annoying. After driving the car enough you will begin to hate more noise and you will get unwanted attention(ricers, 100 rednecks wanting to run you in their beaters)... In stall glass packs (which I don't recommend to anyone) or get a cut out.

X2 on cam and compression.

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
You must have a stock or mild cam profile!.....A motor with high compression and a cam with longer exhaust duration and higher flowing cylinder heads with larger exhaust valves will produce your desired exhaust sound!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
40 series are VERY loud with a good sized cam and powerful motor, almost annoying. .
X2 on cam and compression.
You must have a stock or mild cam profile!.....A motor with high compression and a cam with longer exhaust duration and higher flowing cylinder heads with larger exhaust valves will produce your desired exhaust sound!
x4
I had 40's on my 10.5cr 500hp 383 and the drone was almost ear pierceing! I sold that engine and installed a mild 454 on the same exhaust and it was much quieter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts