Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a better wheel polish. I use the Powerball with Power Metal, and it just doesn't seem to shine very good. I'm looking for something that can give me the kind of shine I get from Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish that I use on my valve covers and air cleaner. I'd probably just use that but it comes in such a small container. What have you guys used?

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
Alcoa's 3 step process, Oxidizer to remove corrosion, if needed, the polish and a soft T-shirt, followed by spraying with their preservative and hose it off. Shine stays for 6-8 months.

Used to use Mother's, by was coarser grit than Alcoa's polish. Mother's is a paste, Alcoa's is a slurry. If there is a rough/very dull spot, I'll use Mother's for a fast smoothing, then finish it using Alcoa's polish to a mirror finish.

·
Retired
26,618 Posts
Bryan - I found using the power metal polish and power ball I was not happy with the results. I learned to follow up with a second application by hand. Just a wipe it on and wipe it off and my wheels sparkled. My guess is with the power ball we get carried away and over work the Power Metal.

I have been using windex and a micro fiber cloth for fast detailing to keep the wheels looking sharp between polishings. Since using Power Metal I have cut way back on frequency of polishings too...

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have been using windex and a micro fiber cloth for fast detailing to keep the wheels looking sharp between polishings. Since using Power Metal I have cut way back on frequency of polishings too...
Exactly what I do too Dennis:thumbsup:, I dampen the towel with windex to keep over spray off then wipe the wheels down. I also do this on all of the chrome on the engine.Bryan , as for polishing the wheels ,when they get real dull I use wenol in the red can to bring the shine back quick. then to make them sparkle like chrome I use a product called Hot Rims mag and aluminum polish from Meguiars. This stuff works great .:D

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Flitz, for me two.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If the wheels just need to be brightened up and are not weathered Nevr Dull works great. Wear gloves though unless you want black fingernails for a while. As far as paste goes I'm surprised no votes for Simichrome (I think that's how you spell it) and Wenol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Heres a vote for Simichrome. Is on the expensive side, but doesn't take alot to get good results. Most of my experience was with chrome. The other night, I was experimenting on some of my Reveal moldings, using 0000 steelwool and 1) some extremely old brasso and 2) Mothers metal polish for lubricity. Darned if it didn't seem that the ol'Brasso did as good. It looked nasty. As if it wasn't mixing back even by shaking. So I think I'll step out and see if I can find a small bit o fresh brasso before I spend the coin on the simichrome. Happy Motoring!.....PS, yeah, the Nevr Dull's quite good for the money. Kinda seems the more amonia smell, the better!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts