Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the Tire Rack and they told me that a factory backspacing for a 67 Camaro is 3". They also told me that they will not sell a wheel with anything other than the OEM backspacing. What would be the benefit to having a larger backspace? I was wanting to use a 5" baclspace, but when Tire Rack told me it was 3", I started to wonder what the pros and cons are of a larger backspace. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The "standard" wheel was a 14x6, 3" backspace, which works out to zero offset.

A 7" wide wheel with the same 3" "backspace" would be offset to the outside of the car by a full inch, and would certainly rub the outer lip of the fender.

There is room on the inside of the fender for more rubber. a 7" wide rim with 3 3/4" to 4" backspace will leave the outside of the wider tire just about where the stock rubber is, but fill more of the inside of the fenderwell.

I think your guys at Tire Rack need some talking to.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wanting to go with a 5" backspacing. I have read on TC that guys are running this without any rubbing. Will a 7" wide wheel look ok with a 5" backspace?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Note that the currently used "backspace" term relies on and is affected by the width of the rim, and the difference between the width of the olf rim and the width of the new rim.

I like the old "offset" term much better. It assumed the mounting face of the wheel was centered in the rim width (zero offset) but could be offset from center in either a positive or negative direction to move the tire in and out in the wheelwell.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I was wanting to go with a 5" backspacing. I have read on TC that guys are running this without any rubbing. Will a 7" wide wheel look ok with a 5" backspace?
With a 7" wide wheel, you want 4" of backspace, front or rear.

8" wheel 4 1/2" of backspace is good.

9" wheel (REAR ONLY!!!) 5- 5 1/2" backspace.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wheel size is 17x8 and this particular wheel has zero offset. It is an American Racing Torque Thrust M. I think it has a 4 1/2 backspace. Not a 5". Do you think I will have any rubbing issues with this setup?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The "standard" wheel was a 14x6, 3" backspace, which works out to zero offset.
A 14" x 6" wheel with zero offset would have about 3.5" of backspacing.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the guy said the OEM backspace was 3". American Racing's website says their Torque Thrust M 17x8 wheel has 4 1/2" backspace. I am going to run a 225/45 in the front and a 245/40 in the rear.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Yeah the guy said the OEM backspace was 3". American Racing's website says their Torque Thrust M 17x8 wheel has 4 1/2" backspace. I am going to run a 225/45 in the front and a 245/40 in the rear.

That exact combo is what you need.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You really think it's too big for the 225? I was going by what Tire Rack said when you punch in your vehicle type. I don't think they make this wheel in a 17x7, but I am going to check.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to American Racing website, the wheel only comes in 8, 9, and 10.5 in the 17".

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Fwiw, my stock steel 14" x 6" painted rims have 3.75" b/s'ing.

They are up on the shelf now out in my garage w/ my cheap, stock, "dog-dish", 3-dog-knot hubcaps!!

pdq67

1 - 14 of 14 Posts