Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my front VWW V45's with 245/50-16's balanced but only having weight on the inside. I have a slight 'tremor' between 45-50 mph. Have many/any people had a better dynamic balancing with weights on the outside too on aftermarket wheels? I'm tossed between stickon (my preference) vs weights on the rim lip but am leaning towards function over esthetics.

TIA

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Did the guy doing the balancing put the colored tire sidewall "dot" across from the valve stem??

He's supposed to b/c they spin balance new tires at the factory so they can tell us where to balance the heavy side to the light side of the rim sorta deal is all.

And the light side of most rims is the valve stem side..

pdq67

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Look for a place that does "Road Force" balancing. I was amazed at the technology when I had mine balanced recently.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a place nearby that does that. I'm going to give them a try. I assume (?) weights are put on the inside and outside. If so, I think I'd prefer stickon ones rather than the rim ones hammered on.

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
You cannot expect perfection with static balancing (wt only on inside). Cant beat physics.

Where is the shake, your seat/floor (r) or the steering wheel (f)? Maybe you can limit what you need done. When they spin on the balancer, if they need a lot of wt (say over 1.5-2oz per side), you can try having the tire spun on the rim 180* and see if the amount of wt needed drops.

IMO, go tape weights.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I feel a slight shake in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The roadforce balance allows for single plane balancing. The machine is very tech heavy. It measures exactly where the weight needs to be placed, both depth in wheel AND correct rotation. In fact it's so "smart" on the last tire/wheel they were balancing the machine gave them specific directions on dismounting the tire and remounting in a specific location to reduce the amount of weight needed.

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
The roadforce balance allows for single plane balancing. The machine is very tech heavy. In fact it's so "smart" on the last tire/wheel they were balancing the machine gave them specific directions on dismounting the tire and remounting in a specific location to reduce the amount of weight needed.
Sounds like the Cat's Meow for tire/wheel balancing, especially with the new sizes starting to infect the market. What tire place would be able to afford this machine?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The guys at my place were saying they are already looking at a new machine that is all laser precision measurements. It just takes a person to stick the weights. I'll never go to a regular spin balance place again.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The place near me just upgraded from the 9700 to the laser machine.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Sounds like the Cat's Meow for tire/wheel balancing, especially with the new sizes starting to infect the market. What tire place would be able to afford this machine?
Actually, lots of shops/dealers have the Hunter GSP-9700 machine; go to www.gsp9700.com and use the locator to find the shop closest to you that has one. Not only balances, but diagnoses radial and lateral runout AND radial force variation, which are totally independent of balance. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
Cool ! Thanks, JohnZ!

Dealers mostly and Goodyear stores, plus a couple Merchants Tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts