Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to just replace the wheel cylinders, but I want to look inside the old ones and see if they're rebuildable, but MOSTLY to see what the internal condition of the other non-leaker might be. I've never done this before, I got the boots off, but how do I remove the pistons and cups to see inside? They don't budge.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Wow, it's been about 30 years since I rebuilt a manual wheel cylinder. But as I recall, the cups, plungers and spring should just push out either end. Push on one end and they should come out the other. They are most likely siezed up.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
You can clamp it tightly in a bench vise and tap them out with a punch and hammer. Both pistons will come out the same end. If they're in there solid, the cylinders are probably beyond repair unless they're original and you want to keep them. I usually just replace them any way, since they're inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Do not buy from Autozone. They are made in China and I went through 3 fronts that leaked right from the moment I installed them. NAPA carries fronts that are made in USA and their rears are from China but better quality than Autozone's. See this post for more info.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160640

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I have some AC Delco replacement rears (also made in China). I just wanted to explore the innards of the originals. I'll hold on to them. If they're not too corroded they might be rebuildable. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
19,559 Posts
Ken if the are the originals they will be rusted inside. That is the reason you can't get it apart. You may try to put one in a vice, put a rag over the cups and try to blow them out with compressed air.
If you haven't replaced the master cylinder I would conceder it.

Roger

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
Like above if stuck..dont fall out they are corroded..seized
If so they will be far to corroded to restore unless you get them rebuilt with stsinless sleeves.
The bores have to be PERFECT and not honed oversize beyond factory specs
all that is inside is a couple pistons with a couple seals....

And since you havnt really messed around with slaves before
NEVER have ANYONE sit in the car with the drums off...it is sort of natural to sit in a car and subconsially to put your foot...rest on the brake...which pops the cylinders apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts