Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new car, and with it came a set of aftermarket rims. I ended up getting a flat tire, and I do not have a wheel lock to get my wheel off. I went to a local auto shop, and I rented a tool that "supposedly" just slips right over the lock and takes it off. I can not get it to get on there at all. If anyone knows about any other way to get these darned wheel locks off (preferably a way to do it at home), please let me know ASAP.

Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
Who manufactures the rims? Once you have established this, call them, they may have a local dealer that sells the "key" for this.

What about the previous owner? Did you check all over the car to see if the "key" somewhere hidden in the trunk?

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you you have clearence around the locking lug, you can try a deep well Impact socket that fits tight around the lug,and hammer It over the lug then loosen it.This has worked for me before.

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
86 Monte Carlo SS

·
Registered
33 Posts
Places I have found wheel lock keys in the last 16 years.

glove box
console
door pouches
trunk w/jack & spare
boyfriends tool box
wifes purse
lost in the ozone

Some of the universal lock removers rely on friction and are best used with an impact, some have to be hammered on to get a grip.

Hammer and chisel or air hammer works when all else fails.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If it's a slide on type, smooth inside, get the correct size(should not 'slide'on) and hammer the hell out of it till its on good and tight.

------------------
76 Camaro/mild 350 .030/M21/Z28 body parts/lotsa other goodies

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
As a last resort, most good garages will have a couple of different sets of wheel lock removal tools. I know that this doesnt help while your on the side of the road, but in all my years in the business, I've never seen a wheel lock that I couldn't remove. (of course, there have been a couple of time when I had to drill right thru the stud!!
)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts