Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched Tools and Wheels section, maybe I'm not puttin in the right search words but I couldn't find any results. I want to see if I can get 18" wheels on my 67. I found these two tools on the web, but wanted to know if anyone every built a tool that can do the same job with decent accuracy as these tools.

http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PCY-01201

http://autowaretech.com/mountmate/

I'm looking at possibly buying the one from "tunertools.com" because it's eighty some dollars and I don't need a tire to use it.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
I think there is a member or two here that own a tire mountmate. I also believe that one can be rented from said member.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I notice almost all 67 are running 17", but I've seen some 69s running 18"s. I was wondering if it's possible to run 18"s on all four corners of a 67. I'm assuming a mini tub would be required on the back, or I might get away with one of DSEs offset shackles. I'd like to stuff a set of 18x8 and 18x10. I thought maybe with this tool I'd know what the limits are. Would be great if I could make one instead of buying one.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I notice almost all 67 are running 17", but I've seen some 69s running 18"s. I was wondering if it's possible to run 18"s on all four corners of a 67.
The wheel diameter does not matter for a hill of beans.

What matters is the overall size of the package (ht and width of tire) and it's location in the wheel well (wheel offset, these days width and backspace, as nobody refers to offset anymore.)

67 - 68 will hold a 275 cross section tire if the backspace is perfect.

Perfect in my case is an 8" rim with 4 1/2" of backspace.
a 9" rim with 5 1/2" of backspace will work equally well, a more common 9 1/2" / 5 1/2" combo should too.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts