Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do wheel spacers effect fit of wheels? The way that I understand it is that if you have a wheel that has too much backspacing placing it too cloose to the back of the wheel well you can install a spacer amd move it clooser to the fender. Is this right? If so then would it be better to have too much backspacing than not enough?

·
19,798 Posts
As I see in your signature you run your car at the track. I would NOT run spacers if going to the track. NHRA <I think> has rules against them ?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
There's a guy in our club that has a Ford 9 inch rear in his 99 SS Camaro and he uses spacers(3/8") to get his wheels/slicks centered. His car runs 10.5's so I don't see any safety issues. You would probably want slightly longer studs though. I wouldn't space out more than 1/2" though.

·
Retired
26,617 Posts
There are 2 kinds of spacers. Shims that just slide over the lugs and what I believe are called adapters that bolt onto your hub and lugs and have another set of lugs mounted in them for securing the wheel. You can find the shims at pepboys or kragen type auto stores but most tire and wheel shops refuse to carry the shims.

It's common to see a pro-touring car with 4th gen camaro or vette wheels with 2" adapters and believe it's legal at tracks. don't know about the shim type though...

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I upgraded to 1/2" stud's when I went Ford bolt pattern b/c of the extra strength!

Plus I am going to run 1/2" spacers with my 1/4" rotor thickness to bring me out to a 4.97" b/s vs the Bullitt's stock 5.72" b/s on the front.

I haven't decided what to do on my rear yet b/c I am so used to seeing a whole lot of my old L/60's that are on 9" rims with only 3.5" b/s. I gotta feeling that they will be about perfect at almost 5" like the fronts!!

pdq67

1 - 6 of 6 Posts