Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys ,

I have only clocked up about 100 miles on my car & it seems to be very wandery. I have had somebody tell me that bigger diametre wheels on cars that were not designed with them tend to do that. Does anybody else have any issues with bigger diametre wheels on their first gens ?

I have 17 x 8 Billet Specialties wheels all round with Nankang 235/45/17 on the front & 255/45/17 on the rear. The tyres are directional so was thinking that may have had something to do with it.

The car just seems like it always needs to be corrected & under hard acceleration can be a bit of a handful.

Some other thoughts -

The car has no rear sway bar ???
The power steering box may need adjusting ???

Any ideas anybody ?
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Check the mechanical items first. Idler arm, Pitman Arm and your steering linkage if worn out can cause the wandering.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
worn subframe bushings can cause this. Do you have a recent alignment using modern specs? And check all the mechanical stuff mentioned above.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car has new energy suspension bushing & mounts throughout !

The car has just been wheel aligned on a brand new machine !

Will get the mechanical stuff checked out but I would have thought that the wheel aligner would not have been able to align the car properly if one of the above items was worn ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the steering checked out today & nothing wrong there. I have replaced all of the ball joints , upper & lower control arm bushes. The only things I did not replace were the tie rod ends & pitman arm which all seem okay.

They reckon there is a bit of play in the steering box which I will do a search on here & see what I find.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
STOP!!

Check the RAG JOINT before you go any farther!!

It's between the top of the steering gearbox and the bottom of the steering column.

Been there, first thing I'd check!!

pdq67

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys ,

I have been away for a while travelling around your country. I have had the car lowered then in for another wheel alignment. The toe out was out to 0.75" & the camber & caster was all over the place. Dont know if because when I had the first wheel alignment done the car had not been driven anywhere & it took a bit of driving for all of the new bushes to settle in causing the alignment to be a mile out. The tyres are a bit scuffed but it is steering a lot better now.

The new adjustments are as follows ( remember we drive on the opposite side of the road to you guys )
Camber left -1.0 , Camber right -0.5
Caster left 3.2 , Caster right 2.9
Toe left 1.0mm , Toe right 1.0mm

Not sure if some of the above measurements are in degree's or metric/millimetres.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts