Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new set of Cragar SS's. As they are an inexpensive wheel and prone to rusting, etc. I want to protect them before they see the road. I was thinking of a couple of good coats of regular Meguiars wax. Has anyone used the official "wheel wax"? Is this any better than a regular wax? Or is it a scam to get you to buy and extra can of wax?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Regular wax will do fine for new chrome wheels. Just make sure you don't use a cleaner/wax as it could dull the chrome. A good quality carnuba or silicon based wax will work.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
What about bare aluminum wheels? I am in the process of restoring a set of vintage Torq Thrust style wheels, and was thinking the same thing. Will regular wax work okay? Ive heard the Zoop seal is good stuff, but man is it expensive. Theyre not gonna be on a daily driver, and will be garaged.

dave

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ds: I just ordered some, will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i have used this stuff for 25 years called
nevr-dull magic wadding polish. i dont see it in stores as much anymore but you can almost always find someone selling it at swap-meets. it comes in a small blue can and i never saw anything make cragars glow like this stuff :eek:

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
67 Convertible: I just ordered the same stuff. any word on it yet?

dave

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave: I did get the Poor Boys wheel sealant.(It looks like strawberry whipped cream, smells pretty good ,too!! LOL) The directions say to put a polish on the wheels first. I bought "Mothers" chrome wheel polish and put a coat on. Then 2 coats of the Poor Boys. The wheels look great, but they're brand new, so they looked good anyway. I have the wheels and tires mounted, but not on the car yet. Gonna throw them on just before pulling her out of winter storage. I'm just trying to protect the Cragars from pitting and rusting. Guess I won't know for a couple of years if it actually works. BTW, Summit was GREAT for the wheel and tire purchase. Ordered them on a Wed. morning, 2 days later (Fri am) they were on my doorstep, mounted and balanced. They're price was about the best I could find and of course the free shipping saved some bucks too..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts