Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is: What is the difference between 67 & 68 rear quarter wheel well moldings? My car has 1 that is bent, tire got into it and I'm not sure which one to order? I put the moldings on when I did the car almost 4 years ago and they were the only year the GM dealer could get at that time. I forgot what year we used. The car has the 1-piece lower rocker molding and it is a 68 model.
Thanks for the help,
Jason

·
Registered
119 Posts
The only diff I remember is that the "rear" moldings are not the same for 67/68 due to the rear Qtr being Diff. So a 67 molding would not fit a 68 car. You can probably get the p/n from someone here on the site, or you can call your local GM dealer and confirm the p/n you need.

hope this helps.

John

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I was told the rear 67 mouldings (and maybe also the rear 68s) are no longer available from GM. Quick check on eBay shows that NOS and GM pieces are already getting very expensive. Given that the reproductions are apparently a lousy fit, don't be so quick to toss your damaged piece--perhaps you should consider having it straightened and polished.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny in AZ:
The only diff I remember is that the "rear" moldings are not the same for 67/68 due to the rear Qtr being Diff.
John
67 and 68 quarters are identical except for that the 68's have a hole cut out for the marker light. The wheel opening is the same. i believe the 68 moldings are shorter in the front where they meet the rocker moldings.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The moldings for a 67 and a 68 are the same. If you had a 68 rs ,( not sure of the 67 rs,) the molding stops short of the rocker. It would end by the RS molding. On a standard car, it continues to the bottom of the rocker or nearby. These are the only differences that I ever encountered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank's for all the replies. Murph's 68, the wheel well moulding does go all the way down on the back side of the quarter, but on the front side it comes down to where the quarter cuts back in, looks to me like it may be the rs molding because it stops where the wide 3-piece rocker mouldings would come to.
deejaygee you are right about the moldings being discontinued through GM, so I'll have to look around or I may be able to straighten it out, it's not too bad, it's mainly on the inside edge, and the outer lip is fine.
Sorry so long, but thanks to all!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wrote to Classic Industries asking that exact same question. Why are the 67 and 68 rear wheel mouldings different if the replacement fender they are made to fit on has only one part number for both 67 and 68? Here is what they wrote back:

Aloooooha Ray!

Always great to hear from Camaro owners on the islands! I wanted to let you know that the differences between the two moldings are in the lengths of them. The leading edge of the 1967's went all the way to the bottom of the 1/4 panels. On the 1968's, it went just to the edge of the rocker panels "spear" molding. Today nobody really knows exactly why GM did this. I don't think they even were 100% sure back in '68 either when they did the minor changes to the car from the '67's Either molding will work on the car,so it all comes down to a personal choice.
Please let me know if there are other questions that you might have.

Aloha and Mahalo!!
Bob Brennan
Sr. Tech Advisor

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have to agree that the 68 moldings for a standard car do not go all the way to the bottom. I have been looking into this for a while now and researching past posts as well as asking lots of questions of others. The main reason I am confidant that this is the case is because my 68 is not a rs and has the original moldings on it. They stop at the beginning of the location you would see the rs rocker molding on a rs car on the front side.

The GM moldings are getting expensive. The GM standard rocker moldings are really expensive.

Murph

[ 10-24-2003, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: murph's 68 ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts