Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. whats the best way to remove my old rusty outter wheel well, this is an upcoming project for me. This weekend. Pics would be very helpful too.

Thanks much everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Are you removing the entire thing, or just the outer rusted lip? On my car I only had to remove about 2-3 inches of the outer wheel well lip. I cut the good one up, fitted it over the old one, marked a line, cut if off with a die grinder and tacked the new one in place. I then went back and carefully moved around tacking on it until is was a solid weld, being careful to skip around and not warp the metal. Once I was done I ground it down with some cutting wheels, cleaned it up good and seam sealed it. If you are going more indepth that this, you might want to do a search, as this has been discussed on here a few times...you might find what you are looking for in a past post.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Yes, can't stress that eye protection enough...I got several small pieces of metal in my eyes with safety glasses on...I had to switch to a full face shield to keep it from happening again. The die grinder throws metal bits everywhere...and sometimes you will accidentally wipe them off your face right into your eyes when not even using a tool. Also, you don't want to breathe anymore of the dust in that you have to...buy some cheap dust masks for this too.

One more thing...the repo wheel wells don't fit great...for me, the imported ones fit great on the driver side, not so great on the passenger side. Make sure you test fit your quarter to them once you have then lightly spotted in place. The last thing you want to do is get completely done and realize your quarter won't fit on the car.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
One more thing...the repo wheel wells don't fit great...for me, the imported ones fit great on the driver side, not so great on the passenger side. Make sure you test fit your quarter to them once you have then lightly spotted in place. The last thing you want to do is get completely done and realize your quarter won't fit on the car.[/quote]

DID YOU USE REPRO OR GM QUARTERS?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts