Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 has the stock rally wheels (14x6) While it's winterized, I would like to put on Crager SS's and new tires. Think I would like to stay with the 14". Any ideas on the widest tire I can use without hitting or rubbing?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
IMHO, great choice of wheels, and welcome to Team Camaro!

Do some searching and some reading, lotta of us get a lil wild as far as tire/wheel sizes. Read thru the post at the top of this forum, also the one titled "things I heard at a car show", also recent threads by MADCOW and Black69. Depending on look/handling requirments, you can go anywhere from 14x7 w/ 215 or 225-65-14 up to (rear) 275-35-18!! and the guys here can help you figure out what will fit and give you the look/handling you want.

Click my sig link to see a '68 ragtop w/BIG (16x7 ft, 17x8 rr) Cragars!!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JimM...Great looking car, close to mine. I have a 67 same color, with blk ragtop. 327 with power glide. I'm a newbie to this site, how can I post a pic of the car? I do not have a website.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read all the threads...now completely confused lol. Not sure if I want to stay with 14" or go to 15". Want the car to look "right" also. Guess my question is if I go to 235 or 245/60 all around, would any rubbing occur. I'm leaning toward 15 x 7 wheels. If it matters, I have manual drum brakes. Really think the Cragar SS wheels look great and still give that "vintage" look. My car is #'s matching all original (still has the original upolstery) so I don't want to molest the original look, just update the tires and wheels.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
To post a pic (that shows up automatically) it has to first exist on the web somewhere, yahoo photo album, webshots, something like that. Then go to the "full" reply, and there is an image button where you can paste the link.

To put it in your sig like I did, edit your profile and paste the link in there.

Unless you're real careful on rim offset, 225 is about as big as the front will go. They can rub both inside and outside if all's not perfect.

15x7 4"bs w/225-65 would be a good conservative choice. If you want it to handle really tight, go to a 16 with a lower profile tire.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Jim....you've been a big help. I have all winter to decide what to do, just trying to get some ideas.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Have fun figuring it out. the "things I heard at a car show" has some reall good discussion of the pro's and con's of the oem look vs modern low profile rubber.

For what it's worth, the big low profile tires totally tranformed how my car feels and handles, yet, IMO the Cragars retain that classic 60's look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts