Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I am doing a slight pro touring build and was curious if rallies would be ok just while I rake the motor in and cruise it a little? I am going to go with some 18 inch rims in the future but wanted to know would I look foolish in the interim? I will probably paint the rallies the same color as my rallie stripes if I decide I will use the rallies for a while. Let me know what you guys think. PLEASE keep it positive, if you have something to say that could be seen as inflammatory I would appreciate if you keep it to yourself.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Honestly, I can't find a wheel out there that I like better than a 7 or 8 in rally. I wasted lots of cash on two sets of "cool" wheels that stayed on the car less than a week. I always end up with the rallys back on. Stock/Mod/pro, you can't go wrong with a nice rally. :thumbsup:

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,182 Posts
Nothing wrong with rally wheels... although IMO they look better with the the factory argent silver paint.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Nothing wrong with rally wheels... although IMO they look better with the the factory argent silver paint.
I'd second that. I think factory rally wheels look great. The only reason I changed mine (to Torq Thrust II) was to fit upgraded brakes. At the time I don't recall that anyone was doing bigger diameter rally wheels.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you are going with the pro tour style look, which usually means, suspension, lowered, 4 WDB to say the least, 15" in rally's will work. However, they will affect your stance as they will not have the offset required to tuck your wheel in the wheel well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I say you will never look foolish in a 69 Camaro!!! Nothing wrong with rallys till you get the brakes, stance, etc. I will say when you get the 18s get the ones you want, even if it takes a little longer. If you compromise you will likely buy them twice.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
It's impossible for a factory Rallye to look 'foolish'.. *S* Nuttin better in my opinion! :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are going with the pro tour style look, which usually means, suspension, lowered, 4 WDB to say the least, 15" in rally's will work. However, they will affect your stance as they will not have the offset required to tuck your wheel in the wheel well.

I have 15 inch rallies now so I was thinking I would be ok, the car is lowered already. I think it will look ok once its painted all together and proper rallie jewelry gets applied.

I say you will never look foolish in a 69 Camaro!!! Nothing wrong with rallys till you get the brakes, stance, etc. I will say when you get the 18s get the ones you want, even if it takes a little longer. If you compromise you will likely buy them twice.

I agree, its almost impossible to make a 69 not look fine!!!! Thats what I am afraid of, I would hate to spend any cash on some wheels I dont want. I am really struggling with if I should mini tub or not. I just dont think its needed for a mild street app. I think I will just use my rallies until I get rims. I will most likely paint the rallies the color of my stripes for contrast.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Another vote for the rally wheels. My all time favorite rim, followed closely by the 5 spoke wheel that came on some of the SS models.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
You could always get a set of 18" rally's. I think Wheel Vintiques (sp?) makes them, maybe some others as well.
2x for this if you want the rally look in a bigger wheel. Rallies always look good :)

·
Premium Member
5,317 Posts
Rallies are awesome.... Why not get a billet set later when u upgrade the brakes?
I thought I would go this route until I looked a 69 with them on it. I feel the proportions are off on the hole size on the 18's. I looked at Skeeter's Car pics on here.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Rally's ... I have them on mine. They are nice stock wheel if you ask me. I'm keeping mine on until I can find a set of date correct xt wheels. Until then ... 15" Rally Wheels it is.

·
19,873 Posts
They look good on everything....but I wanted the shiny aluminum wheels :eek:

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,431 Posts
Rallies are going to limit your brake size and tire selection. If by "pro-touring" you mean a car that handles well, both items will impact how successful your build is. Modern low profile tires in a 17 inch and above size make a big difference in how the car feels.

Another inexpensive alternative is a set of C5 wheels with bolt on spacers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts