Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sadly going to store my 69 soon and wanted your opinion.When storing the car in the past I'd start it once a month and let it warm up.Recently I've read that this will introduce moisture into the system which is bad.This year I won't start it every month, but is it a good idea to crank it just to take the load off the valve springs occasionally?Thanks in advance for your remarks,John.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I would think that would be worse, due to the lack of oil on start-up.

I just change the oil before winter comes, put Sta-Bil in the gas tank...then I close off the fuel line, and run the engine until the carb is dry. This prevents any varnish building up.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sta-bil is a good idea but just add it to the tank then run the engine to get it into the carb and leave it. This works just fine and I live 2 hours north of Green Bay, can get -20 without windchill here. Connect the battery in the spring and go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your remarks, but I forgot to mention that I'm Fuel Injected(Edelbrock Pro-Flo)and yes,I normally do add stabil to a full tank of fresh gas before storage.

------------------

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The down side to letting it sit 6 months without running it is compressed valve springs. These springs have a memory. The compressed springs loose seat pressure if compressed over a long period of time. I think the lesser of two evils is to start the engine once a month and run it to operating temp. The new synthetic oils do a petty good job for wear on start up. But then again you could always back the rockers off until spring.
Just my opinion.
Jim

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I think if you let it warm up to operating temp you will not have any problems with condensation.

If you are worried about spring memory and do not want to start it once a month you can always pulll the valve covers and loosen the rockers that are pushing down on a valve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts