Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I wait on delivery of parts on another area of the car. I picked up a néw wire harness by Haywire. I meet the owner at a Street Rod Nationals Show in Springfield, Mo. I really liked the quality of their products, so I got the E Wires series harness, 18 fuses 21 circuits.

My previous wire harness was up graded but hacked by a novice. So, to be worry free I decided to replace it and besides I needed the upgrade for electric fans, AC, possibly EFI etc.... Obviously, the fuse block does not fit in the hole of the original block. I’m sure not the first to upgrade the wire harness, so where is the best location to mount the fuse block where there is access.
I would also like to run the engine wires discretely. How are you doing that?
The Emergency brake does not allow it to be mounted on the vent wall.
Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
Shawn Lemans Blue 1969 Camaro LS3, TKO 600
637 Posts
While I wait on delivery of parts on another area of the car. I picked up a néw wire harness by Haywire. I meet the owner at a Street Rod Nationals Show in Springfield, Mo. I really liked the quality of their products, so I got the E Wires series harness, 18 fuses 21 circuits.

My previous wire harness was up graded but hacked by a novice. So, to be worry free I decided to replace it and besides I needed the upgrade for electric fans, AC, possibly EFI etc.... Obviously, the fuse block does not fit in the hole of the original block. I’m sure not the first to upgrade the wire harness, so where is the best location to mount the fuse block where there is access.
I would also like to run the engine wires discretely. How are you doing that?
The Emergency brake does not allow it to be mounted on the vent wall.
Thank you!!
Sorry I can't help. I used American Auto Wire's classic update kit. It has all the features you mentioned and the fuse block fits just like the original.

·
14,744 Posts
The OEM and AAW fuse boxes mount in the firewall with the bulkhead connectors from passenger compartment to Engine bay.

Looks like the Haywire is a Universal Fuse Box and Harness. I would try to mount it in the original fuse box location and find a neat way to get the engine side wires through the firewall in as close to possible origina loccatio

·
Registered
814 Posts
I would recommend what Vega$69 mentioned and try to mount in it the original location or as close to the original location as possible. You may need to fabricate a bracket or use some spacers and longer screws, etc, to make it work in the original location. How far off is it?

I am looking to rewire my whole car in the near future, and I haven't decided on which manufacturer one to use, but I'm going to try and avoid a universal style if at all possible for this reason. But the price is definitely a factor. So take some pics and keep us posted or your progress.

·
14,744 Posts
Cleaned up the mess in isle 3.

If you guys have issues with another member take it to PM please not aired on open threads.

Another tact is if you don't like a post ignore it. No need to respond.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No feelings hurt here.
Too many opinions off subject!
Moving on with the subject
“Where are you placing the newer style fuse box”

·
14,744 Posts
No feelings hurt here.
Too many opinions off subject!
Moving on with the subject
“Where are you placing the newer style fuse box”
I don't know of any that have universal box and harness except for in maybe a full on Drag/Track car

Ther best I can suggest is lay it out and play with it under the dash until you can find a location that will work as you like it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I was thinking that myself. It’s easier to imagine when I have the brake, steering column and ER brake out if the way. But obviously, once put back together I find it hard to find a spot for easy access. Which is why I posted this question, to see what others have done.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,670 Posts
Maybe to mount it in the glove box or trunk depending on how long the wires are. Somewhere where you can easily access it. Did it come with all new connectors or are you reusing your old ones.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The glove box is a good ideal. Even though all wires are labeled, I still would have to use the end of the connectors, that might allow for additional length.
Ive read some use the center of the fire wall behind the distributor to run engine wires and use within the fender to get to the front (lights)

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Cleaned up the mess in isle 3.

If you guys have issues with another member take it to PM please not aired on open threads.

Another tact is if you don't like a post ignore it. No need to respond.
I think you need to explain to me and other members why you removed my post. I did not violate any of the forum polices.

Don is 1000 percent correct about this forum going to crap. If a member cannot suggest to another member that he might want to re-think what direction he is taking with his build without his comments being removed, then count me out of here. Other members are much ruder than I was in my post ( I won't name names) and I have never ever seen you or any other moderator remove their post.

Instead of removing my post, you should have suggested to Bubba or guided him through the steps of putting me on ignore.

Please keep in mind post are not just valuable to the OP, other members learn from them.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Unless it is a race car, putting a fuse block in a glove box to save $300 is not too smart. The electrical system is one of the most important parts of the car. I would suggest re-thinking some of the other upgrades you are planning and find the money to purchase a wiring harness specifically built for our cars.

·
14,744 Posts
I think you need to explain to me and other members why you removed my post. I did not violate any of the forum polices.

Don is 1000 percent correct about this forum going to crap. If a member cannot suggest to another member that he might want to re-think what direction he is taking with his build without his comments being removed, then count me out of here. Other members are much ruder than I was in my post ( I won't name names) and I have never ever seen you or any other moderator remove their post.

Instead of removing my post, you should have suggested to Bubba or guided him through the steps of putting me on ignore.

Please keep in mind post are not just valuable to the OP, other members learn from them.
You make a good point. The 1st post you made #2 is constructive and has been undeleted. The subsequent response posted by the OP and your following posts were not. My concern was continued banter back and forth was serving no useful purpose.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
You make a good point. The 1st post you made #2 is constructive and has been undeleted. The subsequent response posted by the OP and your following posts were not. My concern was continued banter back and forth was serving no useful purpose.
John, I completely disagree. At no point did I violate the user agreement in any of my post. So now the standard is going to be the moderators opinion? You are going down a slippery slope.

The OP has the issue and can solve his issue by simply putting me on ignore. I expect to see all my post undeleted.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can’t believe this is still going on. Too much Testosterone out there. Everyone trying to man up.
You all make a good point and I’m sorry it took this turn. I have read on other sites where people are bashed upon from know it all’s that take the subject off topic, turning into their own podium. Especially FACEBOOK!!
Frog7151- did have a point that, ideals or opinions are good information for other OP’s.

But.... as we all know, the internet has become overwhelmed with know it all’s that have the least amount of knowledge, but the biggest mouth.
In my case, I thought hear we go again, enough is enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts