Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I am trying to find a brake pressure switch (like the ones that come in the repro distribution blocks) but can't find just the switch anywhere. Has anyone had luck with finding one of these?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Re: Where can I find a brake switch?

Ford used them in every vehicle from the late 50's thru the 70's - so go into your local NAPA/whatever store and saunder up to the counter and very boldly ask for a brake light switch for a 1965 Ford ( :eek: ) F-100 - I know it's a Ford part and they might think less of you for asking, but it's a risk you'll need to take to get one of these ... :eek:

You'll hopefully get something that looks like this
thCAQP8YE5.jpg
;)

The old Wells number was F4805 - but don't know if they have and interchange for it ...

Wire a 'hot' (always 12vdc) lead to one side and the other side to the brake light circuit - job done.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'm actually looking for the single pronged one for a project that I am working on (I can't tell you what it is) and the AAW Classic Upgrade wiring kit wants a single pronged ground-type switch. My 'Project' has a 2 pronged so I thought I could go with the original Camaro style (AAW suggested the same).

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts

So you're basically looking for a self-grounding normally open 'Hobbs' switch, would work the opposite of how a normal oil pressure unit works ...
They were used as the brake light switch for some odd vehicles during the 60's - Jeeps :)confused:) IIRC used such a switch.
I've worked on vehicles back into the 30's that also used pressure switches on the brake line(s) to activate the lights - nothing new here.
Problem is relying on the brake plumbing as a ground in most of these - works great new, but as things rust ...

Is there any reason you could wire one side to a known ground and then the item/circuit needed 'grounded' to the other lug?

These switches were used by lots of OEM stuff for different applications - GM used two different functioning Hobbs units in the Turbo Regals to monitor and control the engine functions both on and off boost. While these are not common parts (in both known or available terms), they are very reliable.
There are also plenty of Hobbs type switches used in industrial applications that may also work - just check a Honeywell or other suppliers catalog for applications.
You're local 'Industrial Controls' dealer might have just what you're looking for.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Bill, I have an original single spade from a 67 or 68 Camaro. The outer "shell" has been glass beaded also. I can send you a picture if you want. Here's my email [email protected] Jim

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Bill are you looking for this?

http://www.oldsobsolete.com
YES YES YES - Where can I find that thing? I checked all the sites I know, ebay, etc... Any idea?

Correction - I see the website but what did you search under? (I'm wading through as I type)

CORRECTION - GOT IT! Thanks man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts