Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm rewiring my console gauges in a originally no gauge car. I bought the conversion harness & I tore the heck out of my car puttng all this stuff in. Everything seems to be working correctly except the fuel gauge. I searched the forums here and followed the advice as far as checking with my ohm meter. I've got 12v on the pink wire and the tan wire reads 6.1 ohms. I've got the black wire to ground & the low fuel module wired per the diagram. My gauge reads empty when I know I have at least a half of a tank. I'm beginning to believe my gauge is bad. I'm heading to Huntington beach tomorrow, so I can go by CI and get another gauge, but don't really want to if not necessary. Am I missing something obvious here?
Thanks as always for your insight.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Bang on the tank, the sender may be stuck... Cheap trick to see if that is problem before you go buy a new one...

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I 'll give it a try, but it's a new tank & new sender, so I'm a little doubtful that is the problem. Also if my research is correct, a 6.1 ohm reading should put the tank at around 2/3 full, right?

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
What happened to me was......After going crazy grounding everything....I cut my Low Fuel Module away from the harness thanks to info provided by Everrett and my problem was solved....module was acting like a resistor and throwing off the gauge.....

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is a new module & conversion harness. When you say "cut a way" does that mean isolate the module & wiring from everything else?

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Mine was new harness I ordered from Rick's with the Low Fuel Module........I cut it out completely.............tell you what call Rick's and ask for Gary if he's still there he told me the same thing..............get ahold of Everett.........
http://www.camaros.net/forums/member.php?u=3549
Mine is working now..........thought I was going crazy until then...........

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I don't think I'll buy a new gauge this weekend. Maybe when I get back in town I can wire up my old dash gauge to the console gauge wires. that way if it works I'll know it was the console gauge that was giving me the problem.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
There are plenty of people on here that have their low fuel module installed w/o an issue. Let's hope they chime in...

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
CB, The statemant I made was my experiance and I was led in the right direction.I hope he can get it to work but..............when the guy that sells them tells you cut it out because people complained enough....oh well

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
If you bought a new reprodution gauge then you don't need the resistor on the back of the fuel guage, as the repros have them built into the inside of the guage wiring. Pull the resistor off the back of the guage (or jumper it out with a length of wire) to see if the readings improve any.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
My original dash fuel gauge worked perfectly. I installed all new "factory fit" wiring and added the console gauges at the same time. First the clock in the tachometer didn't work. Called Rick's First Gen and they sent a new one. Works great now. Then I noticed the fuel gauge read way past full with a full tank. Drove car until I ran out of gas; fuel gauge said I had a little over a 1/4 tank. Called Rick's and replaced the low fuel warning module. I did that this weekend. Gas gauge reads the same; so I don't think changing the module fixed anything. I'm leaning towards what Alan has come up with :(

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
I was told low fuel module actually makes a certain amount of Ohm's or resistance and throws the guage a false reading,I did'nt try it..... cut it out then ohm it out and see......if not put it back in.......try it with gauge with and without if you don't have an ohm meter.Mine checked out good after removing it.....just telling you what worked for me........call Rick's and ask for Gary........

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
No harm, no foul. I, too, was just giving an option (and opinion). I plan on adding (back) the gauges to my console. I'm HOPING that I can get everything to work. That is why I read a bunch of threads on the subject. This is the first I've heard that the solution was to remove the low fuel warning module (not that my memory is very good!). IMHO, I'd hate to resort to that. But if it's the only way to have a correct reading, it will have to be done... Maybe I'll luck out and they will have fixed any issues before I purchase them. That would be a reverse of my luck so far (purchased early, fixed afterwards, stuck w/ extra parts)!

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All good suggestions. I'll dive back into this tonight. I installed my new Hotchkins Sway bar Sunday afternoon & threw my back all out of whack, so I've been taking it easy the last couple of days.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked the gauge last night. I tried the gauge with & without the resistor & it goes from below empty to empty either way. I then tried my old in dash gauge & it registered the same. I tried turning it on without the send line attached and got no reading. I think I'll try putting in 5 gallons of gas & see if it comes up past empty.

·
Super Moderator
32,472 Posts
Disconnect and measure the resistance to ground of the tan wire from the gauge, it goes to the sender. Should read close to zero ohms, if no fuel in tank.

If not, check and clean the black wire from sender to ground, pass side strap holder at the front of the tank.

You could get a 50 ohm resistor and attach a lead to the tan wire and other resistor lead to ground to see if gauge indicates approx half tank.

Then add 5 gal of fuel and measure resistance again, might be a 1/4 tank, 20-25 ohms to ground.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts