Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I've been reading all the posts as well as the sticky and every once in awhile someone will almost mention this or complain about the loss of 25% of their turning radius.

I'm open to whatever one is as long as I can be sure it's the right one.
It sounds like ordering a reman box you can end up with something you didn't order, JGC box is the perfect ratio, turning radius at 87* same as the factory 1967 PS box but it sounds like people "steer" away from those because they've had issues having to replace them on Jeeps in the past so it's implied they must be of lower quality.

The aftermarket boxes I've found don't seem to even mention it, technically yes it will fit a 67-69 Camaro but they're not the same. Therefore Gen 3 box swap actually adds 1* of turning radius to the 68-69 but the 67 would be loosing 23* or over 25% which seems like it would be very noticeable.

This may also explain why people have run 245's in the front without rubbing, while I'm running 235's and I can just barely rub the paint off the stock subframe.

I don't mind loosing a little turning radius but 25% doesn't sound like a good idea.
Ideally the Monte Carlo SS box shows 78*, 24-30 effort and 12.7:1 but how do you find it and know you're actually going to get the right one?
Have any of you with a 67 made this swap to a 64* box and did you notice a significant loss of turning radius?

Rick's shows this one for $457.99 and lumps 67-69 and doesn't mention the Total travel at all. Therefore I assume it's going to be the 64* box.
1967-1969 Camaro Power Steering Gearbox, Quick Ratio, 2-1/2 Turns

Summit $430
AGR Performance 492117 - AGR Performance Resto Steering Boxes
Also no mention of the turning radius so again, I assume it's the same as 3rd gen box at 64*

Amazon $138
Cardone 27-6550 Remanufactured Power Steering Gear
Again, no mention of the turning radius

Detroit speed doesn't list a price, or the specs of the turning radius
DETROIT SPEED, INC. 600 STEERING GEAR - (12.7:1 RATIO - BARE FINISH)

The info here is good too, where I got this info
Steering Box Upgrade - Car Craft Magazine
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,572 Posts
The Saginaw 800 series boxes used in the JGC are pretty much identical to many other Saginaw 800's used in many GM models. I've never heard that the JGC box is built to different standards. I've been running my $45 JGC box for 5 years, no issues. Other than knowing that it's a fast box, and has a .195 T-Bar, I never really noticed any negative qualities. I do run 245/45-17 front tires on 8" rims with 4.75" backspace and I don't have any issues turning or rubbing. My steering box is still nice and dry, no leaks and I'm happy I did the swap. Curious about where you heard that the JGC box is of inferior quality... did you mean that aftermarket replacement units were problematic?

As far as finding a legit original IROC, Monte Carlo, or even a JGC box... it's a crapshoot. I lucked out, found a local guy on CL who was parting out his sisters jeep, the car was in his driveway, it was one owner, had about 100K on the speedo, he had a buyer for the motor, and never even thought much about selling the steering box. So BAM! $45 and he pulled it out while I was there, actually handed him tools when he was underneath. We shared a couple beers, and I went home hoping I had a great score.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,710 Posts
Best option are turn one or DSE (same box). Another option is the Borgeson unit sold through Ridetech. Yeah I get it, some guys want to save money. Buy once, not twice. Buying one from a parts store is a crap shoot on which specific one it is. The third Gen boxes don’t have the internal steering stops, not sure about the jeep boxes.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Best option are turn one or DSE (same box). Another option is the Borgeson unit sold through Ridetech. Yeah I get it, some guys want to save money. Buy once, not twice. Buying one from a parts store is a crap shoot on which specific one it is. The third Gen boxes don’t have the internal steering stops, not sure about the jeep boxes.
Agree,

If you want the best stock type gear box (better than a rack on a stock frame) get the TurnOne or similar.

I did the "IROC" box, it was okay, but not near the TurnOne I replaced it with. "okay" may be good enough for your purpose though.

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I agree, buy once cry once.

I just finished all ridetech streetgrip susp, wilwood master, prop, 6 piston big brakes.

Next is steering.

I was looking into R & P but found tons of negative about going that route. So I’m looking for the right choice to make it better rather than trade turning radius for quick ratio. Not necessarily the budget upgrade or cheapest way to get close. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t want to throw money away either. If I can do the SAME thing for less I’ll be happy going that route.

Like I was explaining the 67 apparently does have a 87* like the JGC box. So I’d be tempted to go that route if I knew I could get a good one. I’ve actually owned a couple JGC and never had any issue with steering gear at all. It’s bigger, heavier, and AWD. So I’d assume if it can withstand the punishment it gets in the JGC it would be more than enough in my 67.

There was one user that got a reman box I believe it was on 57vette’s post where he did the JGC box that had issues and had to send it back, when he flushed it. Said the fluid was like mud. So many horror stories I saw just today about reman/parts house boxes.

@130fe,
I was already planning on doing the complete ridetech steering/tie rod package they have for around $295 when I got a new steering gear ready to go in. I didn’t realize they offered the steering gear as well. I’ll give Adam a call tomorrow and ask him about it while pestering him again about my rear shocks he said would be on their way this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought maybe... just maybe I might have a chance at some luck. I have a PS gear here on the shelf from a 55 3100 project. I put it in for my Dad while it still had the straight axle he hated the lowered stock springs so we swapped everything out for a TCI IFS with R&P.

I remember we bought a kit to change the steering arm, pitman arm and I don't remember what else then had to go find the PS gear from a junk yard. I couldn't for the life of me remember what I took it out of. I just went out and checked out all the casting numbers 7802644L. Which after doing some digging I'm convinced is from a Chev 4WD, which makes sense due to the pitman arm must move front/back to steer the stock solid axle on his 55 like a 4WD would. I kept it around since I have a 57 3100 with stock manual & straight axle sitting here waiting for me to work on it.

Nevertheless, no bueno gotta find the right one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts