Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can only find one speaker hole, and that is in the dash. two questions. Where are the other speakers supposed to go and how do I get to the speaker in the dash? I don't want to put a super stereo in my car, but I would like to have some music, I just don't know where to put the speakers. My kick panels are a vent I believe, I thought I might be able to switch kicker panels, but I'm not sure, can someone please help?

Thankyou
DjSilent

·
Registered
219 Posts
In 68, they had speakers in the kickpanels and in the rear deck. This was a an option. In most camaros though, they only had the one speaker in the dash. This must be removed from underneath.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
1989 TransAm 5.7L WS6 W/all the "goodies"

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You can put speakers in the kick panels. They were a factory option and repro grilles are available. You will have to cut holes for the grilles in the kick panels. Do some measuring before you cut. A 4x6 Infinity plate fits well under the kick panel.

The dash speaker is a pain to get out. You will likely have to remove quite a lot of your under-dash components to reach it. No easy solution here.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

·
Retired
26,641 Posts
What year we talking about? Most 1st gen's have a single oval dash mounted speaker. Some came with kick panel speakers as well, they are small and mounted in front of the vent (close to the door jamb). For convertibles there are also rear mounted boxes that go behind the seat where the top folds down...

I would recomend putting speakers in the shelf behind the seat... I would think this would be the easiest to return to stock (vrs. cutting holes in doors or kick panels) if the desire arises.

Your close, go see Steve or Scott at Steve's Camaros in San Bruno. I am sure they can help you out...

As for getting to the dash speaker. It's an arm scratcher. There is a single screw and a tab and slot that hold it in. My hole dash was apart when I replaced mine, made it a bit easier!

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 06-23-2000).]

·
Registered
523 Posts
Having just spent a great deal of time and money on this, I can tell you what works very well on a 69 Camaro. As far as speakers go you must first determine what you will and will not do.

I have a 69 so I was NOT going to do any cutting into my kick panels for additional front speakers because 69's never came that way even as optional equipment. I also decided that I was NOT going to make any cuts in the rear deck area behind the rear seats beyond the 2-6 x 9 openings that did come with the car.

Having determined all this, I used a Pioneer Dual 4 inch center replacement speaker assembly for the front center speaker location. You can get there on a 69 by removing the ash tray assembly. The rating on these speakers was 80 watts a piece I beleive. You still have to remember however that these are still just 4 inch speakers so don't expect to get alot of base out of these.

For rear speakers, I used a set of Kenwood 4-way speakers which include dual tweeters. These can handle up to around 150 watts a piece. You can get a lot of base out of these as well.

I still like alot of base so I have a 8 inch SONY woofer in the trunk in a removable self-contained speaker box. It sets very nicely in the far left side of the trunk shelf.

To drive all these speakers and to compensate for the fact my car is VERY loud, I used a Alpine V12 5 channel amp to drive all of these speakers. I used the built in crossovers to eliminate the bass frequencies going to the front two 4 inck speakers. The bass is delivered by both the 6 x 9's and of course the 8 inch woofer.

A Kenwood "bayonet" style 800 radio is the base unit because I did not want to do any cutting on the instrument dash cluster assembly. I has also a 10 CD changer in the trunk that can be controlled by the knobs on the radio (remote control was not desired or necessary).

All of this technology is not cheap but you can do it in stages if you want. The Woofer is not neccessary to get great sound out of your radio setup but in my opinion the AMP IS. You wouldn't neccessarily have to get as big an AMP as I did but I over engineer EVERYTHING.

The cost of the components are as follows: Kenwood 800 (discountinued) radio with CD changer ($675.00), Alpine V12 AMP Model# MRV-F357 RMS rated at 30W per channel 1-4 and 100W on 5th channel ($350.00), Sony 8 inch sub-woofer with Speaker Box ($170.00), Kenwood 6 x 9 speakers KFC-6986 ($125.00), Pioneer Center Speaker Assembly (2-4 inch speakers) ($85.00), Professional Installtion ($200.00), Cable Assemblies ($75.00).

My only NEGATIVE impression thus far of this set up is that, as in the case of all first gens.; there is some plastic in the interior of the trunk that has a tendency to vibrate when being bombared by alot of bass from the woofer. I am working on this presently.

The good thing about all this is that I can now hear my radio over my engine (when I choose to do so!!!). Before, I had to turn the radio up so loud that it had distortion. (I know, I know, what not change out those 2 baffle flowmasters???) Well the answer to that question is simple, the mufflers stay because the car runs too damn good with them!!

DJsilent,

I know you asked what time it was and I told you how to build a watch but that's just the way I am sometimes. Good luck on your speaker selection!!!

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 06-24-2000).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts