Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where these belong? I'm adding a Vintage Air kit to my 67 Firebird, and found these tucked behind the glovebox. The red wire Ts off from what I think is the heat/defrost control light socket. Thanks for your help.
lights 1.jpg

·
Registered
535 Posts
Looks like the bulbs to the back of the heater control and the ash tray. Been so long, and I don't have one, I don't remember how the radio face light was installed or worked.
i just read again and you mentioned they were tucked up behind your glove box. Your car may have had a glove box light and a courtesy light below the glove box. Is there a light below the dash on the drivers side close to the emergency brake? They are sorta tucked up behind the lower part of the bottom of dash.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
I'm Puzzled as to wire colors. White and Orange are usually associated with the Courtesy Light circuit with Orange being Battery and white being the ground / Switch side. Dash lights are normally gray. The Socket on the red wire would clip into two slots and hold the bulb over a round hole IMO.

Jeff

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,694 Posts
That doesn't look like a factory connection with the bare connector exposed. The condenser looking thing is most likely for noise suppression. My guess is there was an aftermarket radio installed at one time. Follow the red wire back to see if it's spliced into the harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I should have taken a better photo, or explained more. The condenser looking thing is what the bulb inserts into. It has only a small hole (1/8 inch maybe) hole for light to shine through. All other bulbs seem to be there, HVAC, glove box, and under dash.
I don't see a place for a light in or around the ash tray, but it would make sense with the bulb being shielded by the metal.
The aftermarket radio (old aftermarket) seems most likely to me.
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll remove it and bag it.

Thanks, Charles

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 66 corvair uses the same cylinder style light fixture with the small side hole for the ashtray.

Look on the structure of the ash tray mount. See if there is a square hole for the cylinder light to snap in. It may be someone modified the mount to hold it to light up ash tray like earlier Chevys. Red wire is probably tied into an Ign controlled circuit. The other exposed light bulb holder may be for the after market radio to light up its dial.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
My original 1969 Firebird harness has a little light that clips on the side of the cigarette lighter. It is has a red circle in the photo below. It has a gray wire. The next photo shows the outer shell of the cigarette light and the light that clips on the side of it.

This is the only place on my car that uses this type of light assembly.

The fact you got two of these light assemblies with a wiring harness that at least I have never seen is very interesting.

Reactions: yellow69RS

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Apparently one is for the ash tray and the other for the cigarette lighter.

If you have an AIM for your car, it should be listed. My 67 has the ash tray light, It comes on with the ignition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the response. You all are great. After I spun the lighter housing around, I saw the slots for the tabs. There is also a hole in the lighter housing that lines up with the small light hole.

The other I think would clip on the inside top of the ashtray housing. The clip on mine is bent, and it broke when I tried to bend it back.

At least I know what they are now. I'm not going to connect either light.

If anyone needs these let me know. Free to anyone who can use it.

Thanks,
Charles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts