Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance!
I am trying to figure out where the tach wire comes through the firewall in a 1969 Camaro. If anybody has a pic that would be great.
Thanks Again
Jack

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackout,
According to the pic in my AIM the hole for the TACH wire comes out right below where the FUSE BLOCK comes thru the firewall. Is this correct??
I think the AIM is really difficult to read. I mean it is so messy and seems so vague. I know everybody always says "look at your AIM, it shows it in there". I have the AIM and I think it kind of sucks because it is so hard to read and understand.
Just my opinion.
Jack

·
Registered
103 Posts
According to the pic in my AIM the hole for the TACH wire comes out right below where the FUSE BLOCK comes thru the firewall. Is this correct??
I think the AIM is really difficult to read. I mean it is so messy and seems so vague. I know everybody always says "look at your AIM, it shows it in there". I have the AIM and I think it kind of sucks because it is so hard to read and understand.

You need a manual just to read the assembly manual. The manual, on page 413, makes it seem that the wire is run next to the wiring harness, and it aint.

Send me an e-mail and I will send you a sketch I am going to use to find mine.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I put an entire wire harness in my 69. I dont recall any separate tach wire. Pretty sure it goes thru the fuse block with rest of wiring. Only thing I have going thru the firewall are oil line for console gauge & power wire for electric choke.
Scott

·
Registered
47 Posts
My brand new harness has the tach wire coming off the fuse panel on the inside of the car & has to have a hole in the firewall just like the AIM shows

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brad,
Mine is the same way. I am just not sure where the hole is suppose to be. I have to drill the hole because this car NEVER had a Tach from the factory. So I am trying to nail down exactly where the hole is so I can drill it correctly.
Nobody seems to know exactly that is why I was kind of hoping for a picture of a firewall with the tach wire coming through.
Jack

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
"You need a manual just to read the assembly manual. The manual, on page 413, makes it seem that the wire is run next to the wiring harness, and it aint."

It does!
The tach option is exactly that.. An option. It was not wired into the existing harness because it was not a standard component.

The AIM is easy to understand if you pay attention to details.

In RPO-U16 View A, it clearly shows that a 17/32" (+/-1/64") dimeter hole is required 0.8" below, and 1.0" across (inboard) from the existing lower fusebox mounting screw hole.

To me, that's not vague or hard to understand, and it's very specific. :thumbsup:

Use an Irwin Unibit to drill. They wont chew up your sheetmetal.
1/2" or 9/16" will be close enough to 17/32".

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Blackout,
I drilled mine last night with that exact bit!! Yes, you are right. I sat down and read that page and it did make perfect sense after all.
Thanks Again
Jack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts