Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This the tool used to extract the two pivot pins of the tilt joint at the top of the steering column. I need to remove the U-joint so I can tighten the four bolts. I'm getting tired of a 'loose'column.

Thanks, or a makeshift tool......Anybody know the thread size in the pivot pins ID?

·
Registered
579 Posts
They are the same thread count as the screw that hold the top of the carb down, I use a slide hammer that works with a pair of vise grips, welded the nut on the end of the turn screw,
easier method is slide over to your NAPA dealer and pick up the puller, worth about $10.00
Rob

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I think it ia either 6-32 or 8-32 I used to just screw in a screw, hook it with the claws of a claw hammer and tap the hammer head to yank out the pin... then I made a slide hammer.

you may want a TORX socket to tighten the bolts but a 6 point will work in a pinch.

TTFN
Mat

·
Super Moderator
32,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the pivot pin removal tool at Pep Boys, marketed by Lisle Tool. :D

I'm curious/suspicious why they included two capscrews? :confused:

·
Registered
768 Posts
i threaded a screw in and used a claw hammer and block of wood also to remove them. be careful when reinstalling the pins though. they are hardened and will chip around the lip if you try hammering them back in. i threaded the screw back in and hit the top like hammering a nail. went in slicker than you know what. also had to go to the local parts store to get the torx sockets cuz my 8 point 1/4" socket slipped and wouldn't get the 4 screws tight enough. i would suggest lock-tite also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts