Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock valve covers in my 327, or rather LM1 clone, need to be replaced. My engine compartment is as stock as I could make it. Even my performer intake is painted orange. I want to buy a set of plain, original looking, valve covers to be painted orange. I can't find them anywhere. All I see is chrome! BTW, I would love the aluminum finned Z covers but just can't justify $300 for them. But they are sweeeet. Just curious are these still available from GM for less $'s. Unless someone out there wants to part with a good used set???

·
Registered
473 Posts
Most all of the resro places sell the stock stamped steel valve covers. Classic industries I know for sure sells them, they even have the stock style 67 covers. They're a pretty common item.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
If you want the plain old tin orginals with the word chevrolet in script , they are out there, so are the old "corvette" script alum and you can pick up a used set of the finned alum for about 1 to 2 Bens, depending on what condition they are in. Plain old tin chevrolet script would really look stock. Try Ebay.. I have one used Rt finned with a small crack on top of one bolt down hole that I repaired with JB weld but you still need the left hand.

try this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1982-Chevrolet-Corvette-Valve-covers_W0QQitemZ8027012730QQcategoryZ33627QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-Chevrolet-Caprice-350-Valve-Covers-Custom-Pair_W0QQitemZ8027040528QQcategoryZ33627QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVROLET-VALVE-COVERS-CORVETTE-IMPALA-SS-61-62-63-64_W0QQitemZ8028090266QQcategoryZ33627QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the quick feedback. But they didn't have the chevrolet script in the covers in 1969. I have seen those available. In 1969 they are plain "stamped tin" I guess. And I have spent time on both the Classic and Rick's sites without seeing them. Yeah maybe I should try Ebay 69 Z aluminum, but they are still pricey.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
If you can swing it, save for the aluminum,..look nicer, the fins cool oil better (theoretically), and best of all, don't leak like the stamped pieces.

Yes, GM still makes them,..ebay currently has a half dozen new ones in the $260 ranage, but there are dozens of places you can find them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my GM valve covers. Look great. Not as glossy (glassy) as repo's but that is fine with me. Question: where do you get the correct oil fill cap? Which Rick's part # is it? They all talk of tubes. Thx.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The oil cap is the same regardless of valve cover, Rick's part # RC-98. You'll need two grommets, # RC-82, the elbow tube # RC-80, and a crank-case vent hose (see page 239 of the 2006 catalog for the assortment),..it will depend what air cleaner you're running. Also, PCV valve # RC-88 and PCV hose RC-87.

Good luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts
There is a good reason why most people don't use these stock covers anymore besides the obvious fact that they aren't the best looking covers ... the plain fact is that most people don't know how to attach them to the heads in the proper manner so they don't leak... see these tappet covers were definately the cause of tons of oil being spilled all over US and Canadian highways and city streets

1 - 13 of 13 Posts