Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for much needed help. I've started my resto of my 69 camaro. Engine ,tranny, front end sheet metal, doors, interior, dash board, gas tank, all removed. Not what do I do. I'm building a daily driver.350/400HP small block w/ M-22,12 bolt posi is as wild as i want to be. Sould i start on bodywork,interior,suspention. I need sopme guideance. any advice would be greatly apperciated.Thanks in advance.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,123 Posts
My advice would be to get the suspension work done first. Get it where you can move it around if needed. Then work on the bodywork/paint and lastly the interior.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You can probably go any order you want, but here is what I feel works best for me on these "ground up" jobs. First, completely clean and paint the undercarriage and subframe. While you are doing this, get parts ordered for suspension and brakes. Once the undercarriage and subframe are finished the way you would like, install the brake system and the front and rear suspension and rear end. While you are doing the brakes/suspension, get the motor and tranny over to the rebuilders if need be. Install the driveline after the brakes and suspension are done. At this point, I would take the car to the body shop and have all the body work done, panels fitted or replaced if need be and then either prime the car and bring it home or have them complete the paint. Then install the interior.
I have just brought my car home from the paint shop. I had originally intended to have them prime it, then I would install the interior and then have them paint it, but the painter said he would prefer to prime and immediately shoot the car so that's what we did. I will just have to be double careful putting the interior stuff in place to not ding the paint. Note that when your car is in the paint shop, it will receive a coating of dust from the sanding and all. This is why I prefer to wait on the interior - to keep it clean. It's worth the time to wrap the engine and tranny in plastic and cover as much of your cleaned up stuff as possible. Took me a couple of hours to wash all this junk off but I was glad I covered the motor and tranny.
I am getting a chuckle writing this because it all seems so simple!! Like it ought to just take a couple of weeks! haha. But once everything is cleaned up, it's such a great feeling with every little part you reassemble. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Now that the order of precedence is set for your resto a few things should be considered, first make sure U photograph as much as possible this will aid in re-assemble especially if your resto is going to take some time and will document any production markings as well a chronical your fruits of labor "that's if your into that kind of thing" We all forget how to put puzzles together at times. Second, Mark everything that comes off the car, Bolts, Nuts, Washers, brackets those kinds of things, "tag and bag" Sandwich bags work great with a permanent marker. Third line up the tools that U will likely need, Compressor, Lifts, Stands, Sandblaster Etc. It helps having the right support equipment at arms lenght, Hopefully your their already. And lastely be patient to often I seen cars that started out on a resto looking great and Bam the owner suddenly got cheap on paint, parts, and effort. just because it's going to be a driver doesn't mean that it can't be a winner. Food for thought.. Good luck many of us have been their !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts