Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have done a lot of research trying to find out exactly what 396 I have. The ONLY numbers I can get off this engine are 3969854 and the build date of A 8 70. Guy I got it from says it was out of a 70 Chevelle. I know it could probably be 1 of 3 different HP ratings. I have checked every spot where a stamp or raised letters should be but they look like they were never stamped or cleaned off. The only other thing I come up with is that the 3 holes above the oil filter are all threaded and the middle one had a plug in it that I took out. I read that if this is 1/2 in threads then it might be the 375hp. What is the most accurate way to measure the threads ?

Thanks

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Chris, I wouldn't be concerned with some pipe plug. Look for rectangular port heads, steel crank and aluminum high-rise. Oh, 11.25:1 pistons and a 4 bolt mains too.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Chris, I have read that the pipe plug fitting was for an oil cooler attachment.
Also I have only seen the pipe plug on 4 bolt main engines which would make yours a 396/375 ~ Actually 402/375 for 1970

JimmyC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked again this weekend for any numbers on the block but there are none. Im getting a muncie 4 speed and a new oil pan gasket put in soon so maybe I can tell for sure at that point what I have. Also the plug in this pic has the same size threads as the fuel pump push rod plug.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
318 Posts
Your block looks like a 2 bolt main. Most 4bolt main blocks have an extra hole that is plugged for an oil cooler.

Square port 840 heads have a little hump on the front to the left of the top accessory hole in the pic.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Hey!

Those heads and that bench lood familiar! :)

Your block looks like a 2 bolt main. Most 4bolt main blocks have an extra hole that is plugged for an oil cooler.

Square port 840 heads have a little hump on the front to the left of the top accessory hole in the pic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I finally found the code. Had to strip off a few layers of orange paint. Code is T0107CTX so I have the 350hp L34 engine.

Thanks for all the replies.

Chris

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey!

Those heads and that bench lood familiar! :)
Rich, Do you have a goose that lays chevy parts? You take a good picture. Thanks.:beers:

The BB 291 head has the same hump as the 840 casting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Well now you guy's have shamed me into action. This is of my L88. It's a 67 block that I bought in 68 to eventually replace my 375 hose 396. Both blocks were the same in this area. This was last month. It now looks new.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi all. I have done a lot of research trying to find out exactly what 396 I have. The ONLY numbers I can get off this engine are 3969854 and the build date of A 8 70. Guy I got it from says it was out of a 70 Chevelle. I know it could probably be 1 of 3 different HP ratings. I have checked every spot where a stamp or raised letters should be but they look like they were never stamped or cleaned off. The only other thing I come up with is that the 3 holes above the oil filter are all threaded and the middle one had a plug in it that I took out. I read that if this is 1/2 in threads then it might be the 375hp. What is the most accurate way to measure the threads ?

Thanks

Chris
Hey Chris,

I know this thread is a few years old but I have a question for you regarding this engine... I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What's the easiest way to determine how many bolts my main is ?

Chris
The secret lies in those fittings by the oil filter. No need for anything else. Off the top of my head I can't remember about the fittings but have a close look at the pics Fred posted. Those should give you a clue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The secret lies in those fittings by the oil filter. No need for anything else. Off the top of my head I can't remember about the fittings but have a close look at the pics Fred posted. Those should give you a clue.
2 bolt main block:

4 bolt main block:

I don't think this applies to the late-70's and newer big blocks though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts