Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm undecided which coil spring's I should try. I have 1969 Camaro RS Convertible. I did a small block to big block swap. Car sits a little low in the front now and tire rubs slightly when turning when I have passengers with me. The big block has aluminum intake, headers, aluminum radiator, aluminum water pump. This car has no aircoditioning- it's now much lighter than a standard big block. Local mechanics suggested to try coil springs for a small block 1969 camaro with air. I am afraid to use the big block springs because I do not want the front to sit too high.If it was'nt for the tire rub I could live with the car sitting a little low in the front,but do not want it to sit too high.Any input would appreciated. Thanx. Russ

·
Registered
1 Posts
your mechanic is probally right about the small block w/air, I just sold a 69 that had a big block in it but did not come out with a big block an I had the same problem I could not hardly drive it cause it set so low in the front, they are suppose to make 3 types 1 - small block 2 - small block with air 3 - big block, I have been told that the big block springs would set it to high cause the rear springs have probally settled over the years NAPA was pretty cheap for a set of new springs, wish I could tell you for sure cause I sold it before I changed them

·
Registered
2,614 Posts

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I have #5536's under my 496 now that I trimmed first so both ends were the same clocking as my stock BB, A/C coils. (Less than a 1/4 a coil off the open ends?)...

I then cut one coil off the open or bottom end!

My car is like yours except my battery is out and headed for the trunk and I still have a stock cast-iron, SWP, P/S, headers and aluminum intake and rad..

I think I should have cut the coil off the closed or top end b/c it sit's low BUT NOT on the ground!! (I think I have plenty of header clearance!!).

I think I would have gained maybe an inch higher at the center of my wheel well if I would have trimmed the top??.....

Front tires are 225/45-17's and the center of my wheel well is about 25" off the ground..

Rear is about 28.5" off the ground with 255/45-17's! Too high for me but I'm not done tweeking it yet..

pdq67

PS., Gas-Adjust shocks too all the way around...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts