Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen that many people have had good luck with the DB Electrical starter. I need a mini starter for a 10.2:1 400 small block with a McLeod scatter shield and DynaTech headers. I looked on the DB electrical site and they have several options. Don't know which one would work the best for me. Can anyone recommend a specific part number to buy?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I'm running a 355 with 10.75:1 CR, Hooker headers, 11" flywheel, and a 621 bellhousing. I went with DB's SDR0031 3hp starter with staggered bolt pattern and it's been great.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Russ. That is what I needed.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Get yourself a set of ARP bolts. The ones that come with the starter are cheeeeeep. Last time I had it off I rung one off in my Dart block and then broke off an easy out in it since I couldn't get a good angle with the right angle drill due to the kick out oil pan. Luckily it was the staggered 168T starter and it was the bolt by the oil pan so I got a Powermaster dual pattern straight bolt one that worked. The starter worked great though. Let me know if you want it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steiner,

Thanks for the offer but I already ordered one. I will look for the ARP bolts. Do you think grade 8 bolts would work?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Yeah, that's fine. The thing to remember is not to overtorque them due to their length. Around 30 ft lb is enough. Let me measure mine tomorrow and see what length you need.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I would not use standard grade 5 or grade 8 bolts as they don't have the knurl on them that helps keep the starter aligned. Go with ARP or Moroso starter motor bolts. I think I have ARP as they came in a complete engine bolt set I got from Summit.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I will just chime in as one that did not have good luck with the DB starters. Me and a buddy both bought one and as long as everthing goes smoothly they are fine, but if you have a weak battery or some other issue that causes a kick back the thing is toast. The price is real cheap on the DB but it's probably one of those 'you get what you pay for' deals.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Yeah, I had good luck with two of them, a 153T and a 168T but neither got used for long and my setup was perfect. But you're right, they can't be a top quality piece at that price and shouldn't be considered as such. Even the Powermaster I got came with one of the screws holding the mounting block to the starter crossthreaded and seized not cinched down so the starter wobbled on the block and I couldn't get the screw out.

BTW, sorry to take so long but I just measured the bolts. The ones that come with it are roughly 4-1/4" under head length.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steiner,

I looked at ARP bolts for the starter and they have 3.7" and 4.45" long bolts. Which do you think I should get? Also, should I buy a set for a mini starter?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Get yourself a set of ARP bolts. The ones that come with the starter are cheeeeeep. Last time I had it off I rung one off in my Dart block and then broke off an easy out in it since I couldn't get a good angle with the right angle drill due to the kick out oil pan. Luckily it was the staggered 168T starter and it was the bolt by the oil pan so I got a Powermaster dual pattern straight bolt one that worked. The starter worked great though. Let me know if you want it.
Amen to this post, I noticed the starter was wobbling as I tightened the bolts. I laid them on a flat surface and rolled them and found I had twisted them with very little torque, lucky I saw this before breaking one off. Mine is working fine but I did have to take about .020 -.030 off the top to move the starter up. Seems most shim; I had to do the opposite.

gne68ss

1 - 11 of 11 Posts