Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
GM HEI...OEM is about the best you can get, maybe add to it a high performance Aftermarket Coil.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
depending on the weather in your area the msd 85551 distributor may have a corrosion problem. Lots of people have had this issue but im not sure if it is only the msd distributor or all small cap distributors. msds fix is to drill holes in the cap. something i just did and am hoping it will solve my problem. good luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the MSD with the 6AL box and Blaster 2 coil. It works great and even chain parts stores like Kragen out here sell MSD caps, rotors if needed on a weekend etc. Plus they sell their ignition spring and bushing kit for about $20.00 that has color coded advance springs with graphs that tell you what to expect with the different springs. My engine tuner was very familiar with the MSD setup as well which made tuning easier.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've always had great great luck with the msd stuff-There dist's to me are the easyest to set up-you can get bushings to get from 10 to 20+ mechanical adv degrees and they lock out easy if that's you thing(easily reversable too)
The msd 6 boxes are great also I bought the one in the heap in 1995

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
5 letters for ease of setup and super reliability: GM HEI
Gram one form a local junkyard for about $10 bucks, and you're ready to go (unless you need to put a roller cam friendly gear on it...even then, not a big deal...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5 letters for ease of setup and super reliability: GM HEI
Gram one form a local junkyard for about $10 bucks, and you're ready to go (unless you need to put a roller cam friendly gear on it...even then, not a big deal...
I heard GM HEI's are good to 9000rpm which I will never see. I'm not sure if the stock module will work, does anyone know if it will?

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
you can outfit with a "high performance" module, but it is really not necessary...It iwll fire the car, and turn just fine (maybe get a 50K volt coil for it), gap th eplugs to .045, and let 'er rip!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts