Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready for a engine in a 69 Camaro 12 bolt, Muncie 4 speed project car. There are alot of choices out there. I do not know alot about engines but have been told that GMPP engines are the best crate made. I have narrowed it down to a small block GM ZZ4 or the Fast Burn 385. This car will be a driver, and I will drive it alot. I have heard that the ZZ4 only puts out about 315 HP and gets bad gas milage. I have also heard that the 385 is a better driver because it gets better gas milage. Then two weeks later I heard the ZZ4 was the better engine. I want dependability but with a little fun. 350 to 385 HP sounds about right for a driver. Any input on these two engine would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
213 Posts
I wouldnt say they are the best as they are line built and have there fair shair of warrantys/horror storries. It just depends on what you want. Any respectable builder can build a better engine competitvely priced. What do you plan on doing with the car, just drive, street/strip etc? Gas mileage isnt made by just the engine....its your whole powertrain setup. There are people running 600+hp with a nice 3.73 gear and overdrive tranny getting 15+mpg. If your looking for fun 350+hp for a street car is respectable, I think you would be dissapointed in 315hp.

·
Registered
451 Posts
There are several ZZ/4 crate engines. I have the 350cu.in/355 hp one. I am very happy with it, but I am in the process of changing cams. PM me and I can tell you where I found the best price.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I wouldnt say they are the best as they are line built and have there fair shair of warrantys/horror storries. It just depends on what you want. Any respectable builder can build a better engine competitvely priced. What do you plan on doing with the car, just drive, street/strip etc? Gas mileage isnt made by just the engine....its your whole powertrain setup. There are people running 600+hp with a nice 3.73 gear and overdrive tranny getting 15+mpg. If your looking for fun 350+hp for a street car is respectable, I think you would be dissapointed in 315hp.
I agree with Brandon, I bought a GM crate motor, ZZZ years ago. I didn't like it, after about 1000 miles I turned it into a 383. During tear down I found a worn cam & the torque specs were off. I will never buy a GM crate motor again. I can have one professionally built for the same money & more reliable.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
There's a certain amount of reliability in all the new parts you get in a GM crate. But with that said, if i had to do it over again, i would buy the ZZ4 or ZZ383 short block and build it out from their solid base. i've run a zz4 crate since 2001 with absoultly no problems and in front of a tko would always get 21 + mpg at 70 to 75 mph. this year i rebuilt the heads, stuck it with a thumper cam and EPS manifold. I dont get the mileage anymore but its more of a screamer than it was..

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The fastburn cylinder heads are good, the fastburn 385 is the better all around engine, no questions about it.

You can find a much cheaper engine machined by a much better shop, second hand and make A LOT more power for A LOT lower cost.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I didn't want a off the shelf crate motor so I had a motor built for me to my specs. Started with a late model GMPP roller block and went from there. Long block with intake & damper cost me just over $4K including shipping to my door. There are a lot of options out there and many, many engine builders so if you chose to have someone build a motor for you PLEASE check their references and also the BBB before plunking down any cash.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'm just curous why you'd go with the Fast Burn 385 vs. the ZZ383. Aren't they roughly the same price but the ZZ383 has more hp & tq. Just going off memory so correct me if wrong about that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts