Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Norwood built 69 was built in 11C which, according to the rectangular cowl tag would be 68. My car also has mono leaf springs. Any ideas on whether it came with the 327 or the 255hp 350? It is a non-SS car so I know the 300 hp 350 wasn't in it. I believe the 307 wasn't used yet in Nov 68 was it? The orig eng is long gone, I just wanted to try to satisify my curiousity. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Please contact the camaro research group at www.camaros.org and register your camaroand they will be more than willing to decipher it.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already deciphered my cowl tag. I just kinda wondered if there was any other clues to look for as to whether it came with the 327 or the 350.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
my code skills may be a little rusty, but does 11C refer to November of '68? I believe that the '69s began to be sold around October of '68, so having one built in November would mean it is probably built in the middle of the production run... At that point, it probably could have been any of the engines you mentioned.

Of course, I may be way off base. If I misinterpreted your number (which is probably the case) please anyone feel free to correct.

·
Registered
73 Posts
go to www.yearone.com then go to live info. i found a wad of info on my 'bird there

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 11C would be in 68 in my case. I have the long rectangular tag. It's not square like the LA cars that I've seen are. My car isn't an SS and has the mono leaf rear springs so that rules out anything from a 300hp 350 and up. The 327 was the base V8 and the 255hp 350 was the only one available without the SS option. I didn't know if there was something else I could look for to ID to see if it had the 327 or the 350. When did they start using the 307, wasn't it around 4/69?

·
Registered
61 Posts
69TPI383,
Buy the 11C vin code, it looks like you have a November, 3rd week built car. I think the 327 was replaced by the 307 in December 1968.

------------------
Ricky
68/RS on Blocks...

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's easy, 69TPI...Does it have 2 fuel lines or just one? The LM1 had 2 lines (a 1/4" vapor return) and used the external, large fuel filter while the 327 did not!

Gary

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an original LM-1 car with all the stuff still there. It should have 5 leaf rear springs, a muncie (if manual trans), and by most accounts a 12 bolt rear axle (mine does). My car is 09C with the old style trim tag. It also has power front disc brakes. Basically, if you changed the cylinder heads, the badging, and a few trim pieces you could not tell it from an L-48 SS. Didn't an SS akso have 4-bolt mains?

·
Registered
190 Posts
If the engime frame mounts are there look for them to have four dimples in each one.If so then a 350 was in it. If not then it would be a 307/327

1 - 10 of 10 Posts