Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this simple...

Last summer, around June, I converted my car to fuel injection...It needed tuning, as I'm not an accomplished tuner...yet, so I pulled it off and put my dominator back on and used my car for the rest of the summer.

So in a couple of months, I want to give it another try...but the one thing that drives me crazy is the fuel pump! It's so darn loud! It's a great pump,a WELDON DB2025A.
I have it mounted behind the tank with a heavy steel bracket and it has rubber mounts at every mounting point. I was kinda told that it may be somewhat loud, but was the best pump going. I even have an AEROMOTIVE PUMP CONTROLLER, to slow down the pump, but that's still too loud!

So here's the deal, I want to replace the pump with something more sane noise wise...here's what has been recomended to me:

MAGNAFUEL 4301 can run continuous duty, which I prefer!
" " 4302

" " 4702
" " 4701

Also Barry Grant has a couple pumps that might work also.

I would like a pump that doesn't need a voltage controller, and is Quiet!...is there such a thing?

Here's what I have when it's injected:

565" motor
8.8.1 comp
85lb injectors

I also have an F1 PROCHARGER that will also be used once I get the motor tuned nat aspirated...it may seem weird that I want to tune for both, but that's me. So this pump has to cover from about 550-600 HP nat asp, to 800-1000 blown.

don't think I can live with the Weldon. Im sure it's great with open headders!

Maybe "Jody" can lend some advise as he seems to have done a few set-ups with injection and Prochargers....if any more info is needed, I can tell you what you need. Thank you. Dave. So much for simple.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,548 Posts
Weldons are good, and they generally are noisy. I've had good luck with Aeromotive, but you'd need the bigger unit, not the A1000. I used that on my procharged 540 and it worked very well. Rubber mounted, never heard it once the engine started, and pretty quiet without the engine running.

I would not recommend the BG EFI pumps, have had 3 friends try them and they all failed multiple times. There are other pumps that would work, but my experience has been with the Aeromotives.

One other option is a pair of Bosch pumps from the turbo cars. I know my current Chevelle has them and the Mule has the same and makes over 1000 hp. Bought them through Kinsler. One runs continuous and the second works under boost.

Jody

·
Registered
741 Posts
once I get the motor tuned nat aspirated...it may seem weird that I want to tune for both, but that's me. So this pump has to cover from about 550-600 HP nat asp, to 800-1000 blown.
Dave.
What EFI controller will you be using? Your tune with EFI in cells under 100 kPa, will be the same, with or without the blower. If it will be a speed density sys, you can save on dyno time by using your 2 or 3 bar map sensor when doing your NA tune. Then you only have to tune the cells over 100 kPa with the blower.

On the pump, as Jody said, the Aeromotive is petty quiet.:thumbsup:

I'm using the Aeromotive Eliminator, inside a stainless tank I got from Rick's Hot Rod shop in Texas. Also I would suggest using the controller you allready have, it will prolong the life of any pump that you will need to move that much fuel.:cool:

---Bill.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Jody and Bill!

You guys have some nice cars!

I have the "BIG STUFF3" as my controller. Seems like a nice unit. I need to get more of a hang for tuning it...it's frustrating at times when you don't understand certin things about tuning. I can prob have a guy I know do the tuning, but I want to do most of it myself, as I believe if I put something on my car, I should be able to fix it.
So I guess NO Barry Grant pump for me then! I really was thinking of going that way, but Jody set me straight...it's nice to hear from others as to what they have used, as this may save you some trouble down the road!, not to mention $$$...these pumps are not cheap! That's why the Weldon was highly recomended.

Ok then, if I use the "bigger" aeromotve pump, is it that much louder than the A1000? (guess I will keep the pump controller)

Jody, are the bosh pumps you are using ext mount, or in tank? And would you say louder or quieter than the Aeromotive? Part#s maybe Jody?

Back in '90 or '91, I bought an "electronic fuel injection" system from BDS for my 6-71, there were 16 32# injectors and an Enderle Bugcatcher hat, I believe they still make it, it came with 2 bosh pumps, that were frame mounted. Craig Railsback from BDS said those two pumps would suport 1100HP.

I was leary because those pumps had #6 fittings...just seemed to be small, at least compared to most of the pumps now use #10. but I will have to say, as from what I can remember, the Bosh were fairly quiet.

Sorry to be a bother to you guys, but the more info I can get on this, the better, or happier I'll be!

Again, appreciate all the help! Dave.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jody, do you have any pics of your pumps mounted on the frame you could post, or send me?? And could you give me the #'s of the bosch pumps you have now...thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts