Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that my car has NO sway bar installed and I now plan to install one.

Of the two I'm considering there is a big price difference:

Hotckis 1 1/8" $187.00 (Summit)
Addco 1" $109.00 (Rick's)

From reading posts here on TC, I understand that a 1 1/8" hollow bar (Hotchkis) is equal to a 1" solid bar (Addco).

My question: is the Hotchkis worth an extra $78?...

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I believe the primary issue is weight. The Hotchkis is definitely lighter, but by how much I don't know. Some people have issues with the 1 1/8 bar being pretty close to the balancer, but I would think that would be more related to how the bar is bent rather than the slightly larger diameter.

I have the Addco, and it fit fine under my BB. My only issue with it is that the plating on the bar is junk, and they are all that way. If you're anal like me, you'll have to paint the Addco.

Rick's sells both, and their tech guys are really responsive. I'd find out what the weight difference is and then decide if you care.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply.

I don't have an issue with the weight. I understand that that the Hotchkis is about half the weight of the Addco (7 lbs vs 14 lbs?).

I do not want a rusty looking sway bar on my car and would have to paint it too...

What did you use to paint the sway bar?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I just used the same thing as everywhere else, Eastwood Chassis Black.

I don't know that the Addco bar would actually rust. It was just gold, paler gold, and gray-gold, and wasn't uniform at all. Rick's told me they were all that way, and that they were plated for rust protection, not for appearance. So, it may not rust as is, but I didn't take that chance.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I have the Addco bar, 6 years now. It will difinitely NOT rust. It's also not exactly pretty anymore, but it's still kinda a blotchy gold like it was when I got it, just a bit "blotchyer". I'd say the aged patina is more like what unprotected alluminum would look like, in spots, not everywhere.

·
15,370 Posts
My 1" ADDCO bar came painted red.... bought through Summit.

If I'm not mistaken, the Hotchkis bar is lighter but also stiffer. Unless you're planning on all-out road racing, and have the rest of the suspension to go along with it, you really don't need that stiff of a sway bar.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Ditto. I have the Hotchkis bar and it is plenty stiff. If you're not planning on the rest of the Hotchkis stuff then I think the Addco would be fine.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I bought my Hotchkiss brand New from Hotchkiss on E-bay shipped for $150.00. It was a blem, the powder coat was messed up. I could not tell where it's messed up at though. Call them if they are not selling on e-bay and ask if they have anything. Worth a shot.

Joe

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joe,

I searched and couldn't find them on eBay. Do you happen to remember their ebay name? (I checked "Hotchkis"--I get a username with a -1 rating)

Brent

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Here it is hotchkistuning I looked at the last item sold it's Aug 30th 04. Does not seem that long ago I bought mine but I guess it was. Maybe they are not doing e-bay anymore??? You still might want to call them about blems though.

Wow just looked up mine and it was March of 03 I bought it!! Sorry for the outdated info.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts