Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I have a pertronix ignitor kit that i installed, but have recently aquired an HEI. Which of the two is better? I am running a stock coil with my current setup. Would I be better off with the HEI, or just a heavier coil? Do I even need it? I would guess so with a 360, 10.2:1 compression, but am not sure. Plugs right now look good, but would i gain much hp by swapping out?

cfry

·
Registered
312 Posts
HP gain will not be a "feel it in the seat of your pant's" type if any at all. the benifit's are better start's and cleaner longer lasting plug's. and the ability to runn a leaner or richer mix and not screw up the plug's as fast.

i would put a hotter coil on what you have and see how it work's out.

the stock HEI coil is about a 32,000 volt coil. i have 50,000 volt one on mine but i have not fired it up yet with it on.

the thing about coil's in the volt's and MA rateing. along with recovery time. the higher the volt's and MA and lower the rcovery time the hotter the coil.

if a coil put's out say 40,000 volt's and 100MA but the recovery time is longer then stock, the stock one will out preforme it as it give's you a constant out put, the other will not, as it take's longer to get to the higher out put.a coil is like a water can filling up..if it can't get full it will not give you as much water.

it is kinda hard to explain, look at it this way.

a big heavy hammer going slowly is powerfull, but a lighter hammer going faster dose the same thing. what you want is a big heavy hammer going faster...

·
Registered
251 Posts
So what coil are you using ilbl8? I know I could use a better one but there was just too many choices so I haven't done it yet.

I was looking at the Accel brute thunder but...MSD has one mallory has one or two. And none list all the numbers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pertronix does not recommend the MSD or mallory type coils. I put a stock type accel coil on mine and it works great. Pertronix also sells their own coil. Just my opinion.

John

·
Registered
448 Posts
You may run into a clearance problem with the HEI. I have an HEI in my 69 and it hits the firewall. I'm going to go MSD

------------------
Black 69 camaro

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not too worried about massaging the firewall (the distributor came with the car). I put the firewall back in place, as much as i could, where someone had already beat on it. So if the HEI is better i would not mind putting it in. I know that the hp will not be noticable, but it would be nice to not have to replace the $4 a piece rapidfires every 6 months.

cfry

·
Registered
367 Posts
sorry, had to add this cfry...OU#1 !!!!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have to agree with you there. I attend OU. What are you doing living in stillwater though? do you attend OSU?? If so, im sorry.

·
Registered
312 Posts
mine is a generic coil that com's in a cap and rotor kit made for raceing..i belive it is a petrox re boxed as they are the only people that advertise a 50,000 volt HEI coil.

the Accell blue thunder is a good one! so is the MSD, i would get the petrox one for the converted dist you have as they work together very well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
cfry, No, I work for Kicker Car Audio, but OSU only has baseball,basketball and wrestling. Can't wait til we get a good football team!

And, MSD is a great setup.

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker

·
Registered
195 Posts
MSD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts