Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a micrometer. What size should I be looking for? Right now I'm just starting a rebuild on my 327. I know what I need there, but I am wondering about rearends, tranmissions ect. If I get one that will do everything on the engine will it be large enough for the rest of the projects? Also, who has the best deal on them? Would it be Sears, Auto Zone, Discount Auto or maybe Ace hardware. I did not see any in my Jegs or Summit catalog. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
69 Posts
You will need more than one. Starrett and Mitutoyo are the best but some less expensive ones are availible. You can buy a set that goes up to 6" which will cover most all automotive needs. Also a good set of ID mics or telescoping gages are needed for ID mesurement unless you can afford bore gages(best for cylinder measurement). A good set of calipers is handy for quick but less accurate measurements. You can get basic thimble reading or digital mics depending on your budget. A dail indicator is good to have for cam/valvetrain work and checking runout and endplay of many things.

Some parts stores have them but industrial supply houses will have a better selection.

------------------
Life aint easy when you're fat and greasy
www.chevelles.com/showroom/newpaint1.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check your local pawnshops they usally have a good selection, and you can haggle over the price, I got a full set of Sterret's for $100 and picked up a dial indicator with mag base for $40. I've bought alot of tools from pawn shops, you just have to know what your looking for, because most of the time they don't really know what they have.

·
Super Moderator
33,186 Posts
Try Harbor Freight catalog and Northern Handyman catalog, probably could go on-line.

Friends are a good start

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Isn't there a place in Memphis, TN that sells this stuff worth the money? I think the name is Power House or something like that. pdq67

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a good set of telescoping gages, and also a good caliper,and and a small mic that only goes a bit over 1 inch. All of these tools were my fathers and he bought them about 40 yrs ago. They are still in perfect condition and in there original boxes. The mic was bought at Sears and it has the price sticker on, $4.49!

I'll give all of these suggestions a try. Thanks again. Dan

·
Registered
46 Posts
The place in Memphis is Powerhouse Products. I looked around but couldn't find their website (if they even have one). Their number is 1-800-USA-RACE. They have some really nice engine building tools and equipment. Their prices range from cheap chinese to rather expensive. I purchased some of their cheap Chinese made mics several years ago to use. The are accurate to .0001, and always worked well for me. I am slowly replacing them but for the price, buy them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts